Coup d'Etat in An Taisce?

Coup d'Etat in An Taisce?

Postby Newsdesk » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:36 pm

Was informed in a city centre pub last night that there is an internal heave about to happen in An Taisce. The story that I overheard was there is a meeting tonight, when it is expected that the chairperson would be forced to resign.

Is there any truth in this? I'm interested in the story behind this for a feature article.
Newsdesk

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:51 pm

News Desk you are most generous in elevating An Taisce to the level capable of suffering a Coup d'Etat.

But I must disapoint you on your rumour, by stating that the only function in Tailor's Hall tonight is a private function.

So if I am really nice to the hosts of this retirement party I might even get a free drink.

The organisation has not been so united behind its chairperson in ten years. That previous Chairwoman is now the director.

So rest assured it is unfounded rumour, on the same scale as the supreme novices hurdle on the first day of Cheltenham.
PVC King

Postby alan d » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:05 pm

sounds a bit suspicious to me Diaspora.

"retirement party, eh? "private function",eh?

"unfounded rumour"eh? " free drink", eh?

What's really going on in Tailor's Hall that you can't admit to?
alan d

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:08 pm

All above board, A tax collector is retiring, they normally use Dublin Castle but with the presidency the Castle is in use.

Reading your book is about the sum total of unusaual activity afoot here.

By the way congrats on the Bewleys Nottingham hotel, a bloody good job.
PVC King

Postby alan d » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:25 pm

Thanks Diaspora,

Is that the latest Harry Potter you're reading then?
alan d

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:26 pm

Quotes 22Jan2004
Last 96.750 GBX
Change 0.75
% Change ** 0.78%
High 97.00
Open 96.25 GBX
Low 94.94
Net Volume 25,327,481

Buy on Rumour sell on news, according to CBS anyway
PVC King

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:35 pm

At page 104

Out of Scotland "Bewley's Nottingham Commissioned 1999 "Bewleys asked gm+ad to come up with proposals for a number of hotels in the UK City Centres of Nottingham, Leicester, Newcastle and Manchester. The proposed 350-bedroom hotel in the city centre of Nottingham was to produce a marker building in a city without many distinctive buildings".

Published by

Carnyx Group Limited
One Hill Street
Glasgow G3 6RN
PVC King

Postby alan d » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:46 pm

Yeah, apologies. I hit the submit button before I realised.

It's been so long since anyone at An Taisce was nice to me.......... it took me completely by surprise.

Ach.....now I've come over all paternal........does An Taisce take Scotsmen. Want to give something back, think it's only fair. What ya doing for Christmmas by the way....been anywhere nice for holiday.

James................ I think you're still a bit whacky though, sorry.
alan d

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:57 pm

I never said you couldn't design buildings,

Where I would agree to disagree with you is on the listing of buildings.

I don't think either of us is going to change our minds, so there is little point in talking about it.

We have some Scottish members and could do with more members from all the Celtic clans.
PVC King

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:08 pm

Excellent - that would really reaffirm in the average Irish person's mind that An Taisce was furrinners and big house folks talking down to them.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:20 pm

I dunno Scots or Welsh,

The tams can be a bit irreverent at times but hardly dogmatic and condesending.

I just don't buy the anti-An Taisce spin of O'Cuiv et al.

I am also surprised that so many have.

I did a quick calculation of the staff of An Taisce prior to Christmas, only two out of 14 were from Dublin. Of the staff still remaining there is one sole Dub.

After listening to Ger Colleren of the Star on Mondays Questions and Answers I am of the strong belief that it is a contrived mindset.
Playing to the gallery for quick cheap kicks.

A very small minority of self appointed 'rural protectors'
PVC King

Postby FIN » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:31 pm

hmmmmmm!!!!!!!

and who listens to ' cuiv!!!! he is a muppet! ooops duno if i can say that but it's my personal view..i have a stronger one but shall not express it.
FIN

Postby d_d_dallas » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:32 pm

Maybe someone could set up "AnTaisceseek"...?
d_d_dallas

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:44 pm

An Taisce has a website, if you want to join the organisation there are monthly meetings.

http://www.antaisce.org

Good for the site traffic on this site all the same.

Archeire does a better job on discussion forums because it has a wider group of computer literate users. Everyone from save it all Devin to pile it higher Stira.

Fin,

As in our previous discussions I am not saying that An Taisce has handled its PR perfectly. Simply that it failed to get its message accross clearly and that O'Cuiv and Cowley and a number of clientist politicians capitalised on this to develop their own support base.

A little like a lot of talk about all the various European Referanda,

In 1986 'Ireland would be part of NATO' according to some it never happened.

In 1992 'Ireland was going to dissapear economically and we'd all be on the dole'

For monertary union the currency was going to fail. For Nice we were back to losing neutrality again.

All emotive arguments with no factual basis

An Taisce in contrast has three physical programmes,

Education

Planning submissions

Properties

In addition to it's advocacy of policies which are reached by quorum not on the back of a major box whilst parked at traffic lights on the way to Montrose.

:D
PVC King

Postby FIN » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:49 pm

indeed!
FIN

Postby GrahamH » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Heh heh heh

This is getting scary,first you start chatting with Fin Diaspora, and now the unthinkable - alan d!
What next - a box of Roses for Devin?!
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:56 pm

And why can't a member of An Taisce hold a civilised conversation with talented architects.

We may disagree on particular issues, but is finding common ground not what the key to everthing in life?

There are plenty in this Country that could be termed me feiners. (there should be a fada or two in that)

If you read what I said on the other thread myself an devin have very similar views on modern design.
PVC King

Postby Devin » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:58 pm

Leave me out of this
Devin
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:11 am

if an taisce has a right to bar members whose opinions and motives differ vastly from that of the core members, then surely a progressive architectural website like this can ban an taisce stalwarts. bus?
sw101

Postby FIN » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:45 am

scary isn't it!!! :-)
FIN

Postby PVC King » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:18 pm

But you wouldn't want to ban anyone.

Banning only comes in when there is a conflict of interest between the objectives of the site/organisation and an individual.

I would suspect that anyone who holds a reasoned argument could only be good for the site. As it increases site traffic which is extremely important to all ambitous internet sites.

Even arguments such as Sam Stephonson being "auwful" and not progressive are I suspect welcome.
PVC King

Postby FIN » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:33 pm

OF COURSE...
FIN

Postby sw101 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:51 pm

Originally posted by Diaspora
................I would suspect that anyone who holds a reasoned argument could only be good for the site...............

thats my point
sw101

Postby alan d » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:41 pm

Kinda lost the thread of this arguement but in the words of my mentor Grouch Marx whatever it is, I'm against it.

Yep Graham, it's spooky alright...first Fin then moi. Wonder if he'll let me call him Di in future?
alan d

Postby FIN » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:29 pm

on prime time last night a big discussio on an taisce. but i fear the picked the wrong people to argue the president of an taisce..can't remember his name... they some hippy who only said 1 intelligent thing all night and some people who really hadn't a clue. a planner who didn't say much and o'cuiv..absolute muppet who talked around every subject. i suppose he tried his best to sound intelligent but came off sonding like a moron who is only there because of his questionable lineage. there was a guy there which they didn't tell u what he did.. but he was trying to comment on inaccuricies with an taisce's policies(regarding planning cos i know disapora that ye do more stuff) and was quite rudely shouted down several times. seems like the president didn't want that aired that they seem to have no cohesive stragety towards this subject and can't handle the justified critism and questions involved in making this public.
FIN

Next

Return to Ireland