LUAS in Harcourt Street (Update No.8)

Postby PVC King » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:49 am

Originally posted by notjim
do we really need to be discussing this, the property in harcourt street is now worth more so there are higher rents, the rent increase is proportionate to but not equal to the estimate extra retail income, that's how rent work. in this way, the luas has created value, it has given value to the property owners because there property is worth more, and it has increased the potential gross income of store owners, although their rents have increased

Sorry missed this first time and I hate editing posts.

Not the way the valuation system works at all.

'What price a willing tenant would pay a willing lessor in an arms length transaction after a reasonable period of marketing'

Turnover has no bearing on rental values whatsever it only applies to businesses being sold as a going concern. Which are based on the previous five years certified accounts.

I would love to see the last five years certified accounts of LUAS inc.
;)
PVC King

Postby notjim » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:45 pm

ok ok, i give in.

as for the airport, as you say, ir have got their act together, so lets follow there plan and connect it to the dart which leaves the problem of dcu and ballymun which seems a clear case for a luas line and, if it has gone that far, lets carry on to the airport, leaving the airport connected to the city in two different ways.
notjim

Postby Brian Hanson » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:04 pm

Diapora, I am amazed how you are knocking LUAS constantly and for no reason other than I think you are completly ignorant of urban light rail systems. They work and they cost money to build - END OF STORY.

If you want to know the real value and proof that the Harcourt Street traders crying poverty is utter hyperbole look at this article:

http://www.platform11.org/rail_bashing.html

Now go find me one residential or commerical property developer who is using easy access to buses as a selling point. LUAS will be a major sucess story in the history of Irish public transport (alongisde the sucess of the DART which people like you claimed was a waste as well).

You are just talking in the most begruding and little Irelander terms. It was no more expensive to build that compareble systems anywhere else and since was is Nothingham a major European capital city!

I think you need to do a bit travelling to places such as Vienna, Amsterdam and you'll quickly realise how much of an asset to Dublin LUAS is going to be.

No disrecpect man, but you are just wrong and you need to start thinking about the big picture. LUAS in the long run will be a looked upon as a bargin considering the benefits it will being to the city of Dublin.
Brian Hanson

Postby Andrew Duffy » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:44 pm

To clarify a slightly annoying point - Nottingham's tram line is single track, so should have cost about half that of the Luas per kilometer. Luas is also finished to an exceptionally high (possibly excessively high) standard apart from the ugly lampposts.
Andrew Duffy

Postby PVC King » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:02 pm

Originally posted by notjim
ok ok, i give in.

as for the airport, as you say, ir have got their act together, so lets follow there plan and connect it to the dart which leaves the problem of dcu and ballymun which seems a clear case for a luas line and, if it has gone that far, lets carry on to the airport, leaving the airport connected to the city in two different ways.

I can't disagree with that
PVC King

Postby PVC King » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:22 pm

Originally posted by Brian Hanson
Diapora, I am amazed how you are knocking LUAS constantly and for no reason other than I think you are completly ignorant of urban light rail systems. They work and they cost money to build - END OF STORY.
I have never knocked the actual
product, I can't it still hasn't arrived.

If you want to know the real value and proof that the Harcourt Street traders crying poverty is utter hyperbole look at this article:

http://www.platform11.org/rail_bashing.html

You don't have to be poor to suffer loss, you do have to be brazen to leave Harcourt St in the mess it was in. To let contractors away with it sets a dangerous precedent.

Now go find me one residential or commerical property developer who is using easy access to buses as a selling point.
Harcourt St is already amply conected, but look in the property sections it often says good public transport LINKS. LINKS being buses.

LUAS will be a major sucess story in the history of Irish public transport (alongisde the sucess of the DART which people like you claimed was a waste as well).

I hope that August (if the opening date is met for once and not another false promise) is not the high point of the commuter, the metro interconnector would be a real start.

You are just talking in the most begruding and little Irelander terms. It was no more expensive to build that compareble systems anywhere else and since was is Nothingham a major European capital city!
LUAS also cost a multiple of the Strasbourg system even allowing indexing at construction inflation rates. The Hague is hardly a bustling metropolis either so I don't see that Capital equates to anything taking New York v Washington.

I think you need to do a bit travelling to places such as Vienna, Amsterdam and you'll quickly realise how much of an asset to Dublin LUAS is going to be.
I lived in Frankfurt in 1991-92 and the strassenbahn was only one small component in an excellent multi-modal integrated transport system. the principal mode was the S-Bahn or surface/metro standard Gauge Train. The trams were for the last Kilometre alone

No disrecpect man, but you are just wrong and you need to start thinking about the big picture. LUAS in the long run will be a looked upon as a bargin considering the benefits it will being to the city of Dublin.
I stand by the NITL audit of Irish transport I recommend you post that on your site instead of a polemic on ratepayers who stood up and were counted.
PVC King

Previous

Return to Ireland