LUAS in Harcourt Street (Update No.8)

LUAS in Harcourt Street (Update No.8)

Postby Gabriel-Conway » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:25 pm

Hi all,

I've seen a few people enquiring here about when my next LUAS Update was - sorry for the delay - got promoted, working strange (all consuming) rotating day/night shifts, new girlfriend, weekend commitments etc . . .

However, Update Number 8 is now online, and takes a detailed look at the current state of construction on Line B from Stephens Green to the Canal (as per 30th Nov 2003)

If you go to:

http://www.allaboutbuses.com/luas

You'll find a list of all the updates, with this latest one at the top.

Paul, hope you don't mind me putting this in your forum, I do have a permanent message in my forum telling people to come here if they are nterested in what is being built in Dublin.

Gabriel
Gabriel-Conway

Postby PVC King » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:56 pm

There is a really good thesis in this for someone. i.e. The design of monitoring controls and late penalties for cowboy contractors and egotisitical ministers.

A review of The Dept of Transport website press releases will reveal headings 1997-02 Mary O'Rouke Says.. MO'R Says.... M'O'R says

Is this Fiasco getting any clearer.

On a recent visit to The Dept of Tourism Site it starts with John O'Donaghue Says...

As they say you get the public services you vote for.

In Singapore they have just opened the folowing last August

INAUGURATION OF SINGAPORE'S NORTH EAST LINE AUTOMATIC METROSingapore's North East metro line was today inaugurated by Singapore Deputy Prime Minister, M. Lee Hsien Loong, in the presence of the Land Transport Authority (LTA) Chairman, M. Michael Lim, and M. Patrick Kron, Chairman and CEO of ALSTOM.The new 20-km underground line, the first automatic metro line in Singapore, comprises 16 stations. The contracts for the fully automatic train control system and the 25 x 6 car trainsets were awarded to ALSTOM in 1997 and 1998 respectively.The fully automatic metro system, the largest in the world in terms of passenger capacity, has been in passenger service since 20th June 2003. It has been described as the 'way to go' for public transportation by Hans Rat, secretary general of UITP, the international association of public transport. In a statement, the association predicted that more and more cities worldwide will follow Singapore's recent example.In just over two months of service, the highly complex system has been running smoothly with a level of reliability of 99.5%, 97% schedule adherence within 2 minutes, and an average 150,000 passengers per day.

$1.5bn total

http://mwprices.ft.com/custom/ft-com/story.asp?siteid=ft&dist=ft&guid=%7B274E5080%2DCB99%2D4F85%2D80C5%2D8894CC3B5FE0%7D
PVC King

Postby Niall » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:23 am

So much for 'all city centre work will be completed by Christmas' despite, the unusually unseasonal summer/autumn?

Promises, promises, Oh how I remember 1991, light rail by 1996....... those were the days.......

Was going underground such a bad idea after all.? Instead we get glorified buses on rails with electric currents. Well done lads, take your hats off!
Niall

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:44 pm

Here's an obvious question... but when theyre resurfacing the tram side of streets like Harcourt, why didnt they resurface the whole damned thing?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:52 pm

Because that would make sense.
PVC King

Postby notjim » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:06 pm

because it would have ment closing the road for longer and they are already getting beaten up by the post.
notjim

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:15 pm

Garret Fitzgerald made the best point of all regarding the other Luas line. It travels for 3-4 kms without servicing anything other than the hard shoulder of the M50
PVC King

Postby ewanduffy » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:01 pm

Originally posted by Diaspora
Garret Fitzgerald made the best point of all regarding the other Luas line. It travels for 3-4 kms without servicing anything other than the hard shoulder of the M50

You mean Garret the ticket collector? I have no trouble granting him the title of expert in that field. Anything more serious than that (including LUAS) is above him. He screwed up the country when he was Taoiseach, including his no investment in railways policy, he should have the decency to retire quietly and stop annoying the rest of us.
ewanduffy

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:24 pm

I think you are sorely mistaken Ewan,

Had Jack Lynch not abolished Residential Rates in 1977 in the greatest election purchase in Irish History. This country would not have been BANKRAUPT.

As for the no investment in Irish Railways, I believe that 1985 saw the opening of the DART, 1982-85 saw all the new "Intercity" generation carriages. The line from Dublin to Cork saw the track "welded" to cut journey times by up to an Hour.

I wish Garrett could retire, I am sure it would be less stressfull than looking at the mess that Dublin is becoming.
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:55 pm

"It travels for 3-4 kms without servicing anything other than the hard shoulder of the M50"

It's less than a kilometer. Gareth Fitzgerald is wrong. I live beside that section of track, It would take the Luas less than two minutes to travel the distance from the Kingswood Stop to the Red Cow terminus, more bullshit "facts" about the luas ...
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:36 pm

I completely accept that Peter,

It was incorrect in that the 3-4 kms were actually from Kingswood through the Red Cow down the Cenrte of the Naas Road until it gets to Bluebell. So I suppose it also services the centre of a dual carriageway and Irelands highest concentration of Car lots besides Alexandra Quay.
PVC King

Postby shadow » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:50 am

"It travels for 3-4 kms without servicing anything other than the hard shoulder of the M50" The point is still well made. In any reasonable medium/high density city you would expect to see a section of rail service housing & shops & workplaces. Thus in that 2 minutes you would expect to see thousands of people living and working.
shadow

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:35 am

Trams on track to cost an extra £100m

GARETH EDWARDS

THE cost of bringing trams back to the Capital has risen by almost £100 million.

Capital costs for the two initial lines have now been estimated at £473m - £93m more than the £375m set aside for the project by the Scottish Parliament.

Opposition leaders have slammed the extra costs, warning they could mean high ticket prices for the trams.

nope not Dublin but Edinburgh....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:23 pm

The new paving on Harcourt Street is beautiful, what an improvement on the tarmac quick-fix job that prevailed for years.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Gabriel-Conway » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:54 pm

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, I have no connections at all to LUAS/RPA myself, just a private individual (though the tourist info section of my bus site is kindly sponsored by Dublin Bus).

I started doing these LUAS Updates because of the amazingly long gaps and lack of info in the "Construction Updates" section of the official LUAS site.

Weather and time permitting, I hope to have another one up over Christmas.

Gabriel
Gabriel-Conway

Postby Rory W » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:26 pm

"It travels for 3-4 kms without servicing anything other than the hard shoulder of the M50"

And why does it do this - because the locals didnt want it running through Kingswood estate - same with the reason it runs doen the canal and not through Inchicore - the locals objected. If it doesn't serve these people they have no-one to blame but themselves for objecting in the first place.
Rory W
Old Master

Postby niall murphy » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:35 pm

I totally agree
niall murphy

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:11 am

lads you need to get to know the geography of the area ...

The Luas runs down the embankment road (bisecting the estates of kingswood & kilnamanagh) so that it can service both Kingswood & the far more populous Kilnamanagh. It then runs for a KILOMETER to the Red Cow Depot, and down to the major industrial areas surrounding the median of the Naas Road, where many people in Tallaght work. Currently no other public transport services this area from Tallaght.

Given the restrictions on road space on all routes in to Tallaght, I really don't see any other way they could have aligned the track.
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:34 am

Regardless of the NIMBY factor being quoted which is probably true. Why didn't it go from Kingswood back towards Walkinstown and Crumlin.

What it does is a joke intersecting the biggest road junction in Ireland, down the centre of an industrial spine like the Naas Rd. Down the centre of a dual carriageway is not very familly friendly

If they really wanted to provide decent services to the citizens of Dublin 24, the luas would have been extended to City West and more critically would have been built on time.

Looking at this Fiasco I can understand why people consider their car the only option. It need not be this way.
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:54 pm

Diaspora, please tell me what road leading off the Walkinstown Roundabout you would close to facilitate the Luas ? all six exits from that roundabout are two lane and are already choked with traffic as is the Crumlin Road.

I don't expect the Luas to divert to my house, the driver to hop out the door, ring my bell and wake me. If i have to walk for five or ten minutes to my Luas stop (which i do) so what ?

The way dublin's population is spread this is always going to be a problem, one luas line is not going to reach the whole population of dublin south west. Some people may have to walk for ten/ fifteen minutes or drive, thats just the way it is.

Diverting luas through Walkinstown / Crumlin would cause mayhem.
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:57 pm

If the People of Dundrum could have a Caltravra bridge why not the people of Walkinstown.

Point taken Peter, we are probably engaging in more discussion than the entire Luas team ever did

But what about an extension to City West, is the traffic there for it?
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:08 pm

yeah I agree Diaspora, an extension to Citywest would be a good idea ... thought it was in the pipeline though ??
Peter Fitz

Postby PVC King » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:24 am

Peter
As two men of the world we know there are many things in the pipeline. The question is who gets left with the short straw
PVC King

Postby stira » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:32 pm

I heard Jim Mansfield wants a spur off to his huge new conference centre, golf course, airport, hotels etc. I think i heard him say it would cost 20 million, but he said he was prepared to pay any price to have it service city west.
stira

Postby PVC King » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:43 pm

I know I am going to be lambasted for this but I think that Kevin Roche should be allowed to build his NCC at Spencer Dock.

I think the NCC illustrates all that is wrong with the Development process in this country, it was going to the RDS sometime in the mid 1990's. Then another minister decided to reopen the competition.

So it was going to Spencer Dock, an ideal City Centre location. Finally somone had listened to 20 years of Bord Failte in D'unbelievables voices sayings lads ders a few pound in dis.

Enter Treasury who attempt to use the NCC as a lever for a ridiculous plot ratio and here we are entering 2004 a European Capital hosting the European presidency with
No Luas

No Metro

and No Conference centre.
PVC King

Next

Return to Ireland