Smithfield Plazza

Smithfield Plazza

Postby theginjaninja » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:03 pm

Hello,

I am an Architecture student from, Portsmouth and I am currently studying the success of the Smithfield project in terms of its success in proving some form of regeneration through open space.

Does anyone have any comments as to how successful it has been? Has the areas been gentrified? Has there been any real physical or social regeneration in the area becuase of the scheme (other than published buildings)

Thanks in advance

Andy Matthews
andrewmatthews at mac dot com
theginjaninja

Postby LOB » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:40 pm

Try here
http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?s=&threadid=417&perpage=15&highlight=smithfield&pagenumber=1
There are many other forums on this site where smithfield was discussed.
LOB

Postby d_d_dallas » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:13 pm

Smithfield - €400,000 one bed apartments next door to two storey social housing.
d_d_dallas

Postby theginjaninja » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:19 pm

d d dallas.. exactly what I need. Thanks!
LOB - the other posts are eceptionally useful.
Will post a summary of my dissertation here when it gets written.

abstract is as follows (draft)
Our cities and urban fabric are in dire need of help! The reasons for this urban decay are numerous and varied. The decay of our urban fabric is well documented and has been brought to the forefront of political and social debate in recent years by work of Lord Rogers and the Urban Task force.
How do we solve the problems of a tired, poor and run down area? ‘Regeneration’ would surely be the unanimous response. The subject of regeneration may cover many areas of life within the city, but by far the most prevalent is the provision of public open space. Perhaps the most widely cited, and perhaps slightly clichéd, example of regeneration through public open space is Barcelona. Barcelona very successfully transformed itself from a tired industrial city ruined by decades of decay into a vibrant, attractive city through the provision and design of many public spaces or squares.
Through the process of my dissertation I wish to explore the way in which recent urban interventions have affected the process of regeneration and whether new urban spaces can actually positively affect the surrounding area and act as a catalyst for regeneration. Three schemes heralded as successful examples of this approach will be presented and analysed as to whether the actual affects have been achieved. Are these landmark schemes really for the people who formerly inhabited these places or do they simply displace these people and replace them with wealthier tourists?
Are these projects really applicable to the variety of spaces and cultures to which they have been applied? Have we fallen into the trap of using a series of references without actually thinking about the social and physical consequences of our grand schemes? Do these actually form part of the public domain or have they become pseudo-public spaces? Do they actually act as a catalyst for regeneration?
Can design through the use of open public space generate lasting physical and social regeneration?
theginjaninja

Postby theginjaninja » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:30 pm

Does anyone know of where I can get digital mapping data from for the site? I need to redraw it for inclusion in my dissertation.. anyone got a file they could send me?
theginjaninja

Return to Ireland