busaras

busaras

Postby deirdre » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:16 pm

hi everyone,
just a quick note to ask u what u think of the busaras building. it was once a great building but now it doesnt do the job it's supposed to do and looks horrible.
do you agree - should it be knocked or are we holding on to this once modern building?
deirdre

Postby GrahamH » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:14 pm

So much as mention knocking again and you'll be slaughtered!

But I agree that the place is terrible inside - I'd like to say that the place could be restored to 'its former glory' but it can't.
I'd like to say that the interior has essentially good design features and that it could be brought back to life - but really the place is bloody awful inside.

It is fundamentally dated and tatty - the concourse ceiling appears to be made from squares of hardboard and the flooring is in bits.
So much of the interior cladding is beyond repair and is horribly out of date.

The exterior is excellent architecture, and has beautiful original features and good design elements like the bronze windows, the quality brickwork, the Portland stone etc - but the interior has little else with the exception of the mosaic-clad columns, the wood clad walls and the overall sense of spaciousness and lack of clutter (structurally)

These elements should be preserved, but otherwise the interior should be completely overhauled with quality contemporary design.

I thought the place was in better shape than it is, not having been in it for years until a few days ago, but really, the concourse is horrible - it must be so depressing on a wet Friday night.

Of course the real issue is what CIE intend on doing with it as part of their plans - 'quality contemporary design' is more than just a little alien to them.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby urbanisto » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:42 pm

Why on earth do you suggest pulling it down Deirdre? Why should that be a valid option for such an important building just because it isnt fulfilling its purpose?

I'm not sure what the best option is for for Busaras - whether removing the busese from it and retaining it as offices, or maybe using its bus park for airport buses only. The unfortunate thing about Busaras is that while it might just about manage its original purpose...a central bus station for country buses - the streets around it are woefully inadequate for the traffic generated. It is ridiculous seeing the buses manouver into Store St. In addition the expansion of routes has meant that many buses have to park outside the station....surely one of the things that the original buidling was meant to avoid.

I am looking forward to CIEs proposals for the building....although I am not expecting too much.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby notjim » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:57 pm

Stephen C, can you think of a better place for a central bus station? the quays lead straight out of the city to the west, these will clear up when the port tunnel is built, the quays and east wall road will lead to the tunnel and north. its harder to get south, but I can't think of anywhere else that is better. it would be shame to use busarus as anything but a busarus, the function is so much a part of the design. it is true that it is over crowded now, they nead a better way to arrange the buses which don't leave from busarus itself.
notjim

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:45 pm

As you may all recall there was once upon a time a plan for a mega bus station on aston Qy that was going to avoid all the problems you mention re: Busaras. So at least once upon a time CIE has some foresight.
Of course Charlie got in the way forced them to hand over all their land and now we have a delightful string of superpubs in it's place.

There's nothing wrong with asking if we should demolish a building. Jeez - do we actually demolish anything these days? (cue can of worms...) Atoning for the 60's is one thing - but sometimes something has to go to give us something better.
Note: this is a point in GENERAL and not a swipe at Busaras or any other jewel we have (or lost recently). No rants please!!!

Busaras is in keeping with CIE's proud tradition of maintaining the lowest possible quality stations. Granted Heuston and Conolly got a lick o'paint of late - but give them time - CIE will bring these stations to the level we all expect!!!
d_d_dallas

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:45 pm

As you may all recall there was once upon a time a plan for a mega bus station on aston Qy that was going to avoid all the problems you mention re: Busaras. So at least once upon a time CIE has some foresight.
Of course Charlie got in the way forced them to hand over all their land and now we have a delightful string of superpubs in it's place.

There's nothing wrong with asking if we should demolish a building. Jeez - do we actually demolish anything these days? (cue can of worms...) Atoning for the 60's is one thing - but sometimes something has to go to give us something better.
Note: this is a point in GENERAL and not a swipe at Busaras or any other jewel we have (or lost recently). No rants please!!!

Busaras is in keeping with CIE's proud tradition of maintaining the lowest possible quality stations. Granted Heuston and Conolly got a lick o'paint of late - but give them time - CIE will bring these stations to the level we all expect!!!
d_d_dallas

Postby Rory W » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:52 am

As you may all recall there was once upon a time a plan for a mega bus station on aston Qy that was going to avoid all the problems you mention re: Busaras. So at least once upon a time CIE has some foresight

Only proposed for Dublin Bus services not Bus Eireann services
Rory W
Old Master

Return to Ireland