Millenium Wing- National Gallery

Millenium Wing- National Gallery

Postby Observer » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:54 pm

I confess to not knowing much about it. However I've been in it more than a few times and i have noticed of late that it is becomming quiet shabby and grotty looking.
It is that modern architecture simply doesnt lend itself well to use as a public building with such heavy use or is it that they (Here i refer to other Modern public buildings such as Bus Aras) are not maintained properly?

I must also include here that I dont actually like the building. It is indeed visually striking but as for use of the building it seems to be nothing more than a Cafe, tiolets a post card shop and the Most expensive Stairs in the Country. Something more could have been made of the site and the building surely?
Observer

Postby what? » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:07 pm

i havnt been in recently to see the shabiness but with regard to bus aras it is definitley down to poor management and maitenace rather than design style.
i like (not love) the the millenium wing of the national gallery, but i think the series of cuts in the surfaces are a bit over done and would have meant more if less had been used. it has some very nice ideas in it though such as the incorporation of older structures and layering of elements.
as far as its function you must remember that this is not meant to be a stand alone gallery. it is merely a new wing for the gallery and a new face for the national gallery on nassau st. a primary reason for its construction was to (re)announce the galleries presence to the city. judging by the amount of people who were in it any time i was there it seems to definitely have increased the populaity of the gallery.
it does give over a lot of space to bookshop cafe etc. but these are valid parts of any modern gallery.
what?

Postby Observer » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:24 pm

Originally posted by what?

as far as its function you must remember that this is not meant to be a stand alone gallery. it is merely a new wing for the gallery and a new face for the national gallery on nassau st. a primary reason for its construction was to (re)announce the galleries presence to the city. judging by the amount of people who were in it any time i was there it seems to definitely have increased the populaity of the gallery.
it does give over a lot of space to bookshop cafe etc. but these are valid parts of any modern gallery.

I agree, however i would have liked to see more actual gallery space in it to display the more modern pieces of art. I am glad however that they have put the cafe restaurant in it and not in the older buildings.
Observer

Postby GrahamH » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:51 pm

One cannot feel but utterly ashamed exiting a building constructed of one of the most expensive building materials and whose wastage of space borders upon sheer gluttony with it's echoing acres of white concrete, and facing the homeless of the Dental Hospital across the road.

I know we can make this arguement about anything - indeed we all threw this very arguement about with regard to the Spike - it just brings it home seeing these people.

I like the National Gallery Millenium Wing - esp the stairs - fantastically anti-PC in the face of accessibility etc - as long as the lifts etc are fully operational all of the time.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:25 pm

I've always liked the millenium wing for the vaulted large space it created bang in the middle of Merrion Sq - the facade on Clare St outside is hardly anything original - merely to annouce that Benson and Forsyth woz 'ere.

Did remark that within a week of it opening there was graffitti on the stone cladding - the resolution? They put a printed piece of A4 over the graffitti with some message about opening hours or something.

It has of course been cleaned since.
d_d_dallas

Postby notjim » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:07 pm

Observer, are you claiming that there are significant parts of the permanent collection of contemporary art not normally on display? i don't think that's true. it is true of the hugh lane, and, the imma make of point of keeping large amounts of the permanent collection in storage, but wasn't the ngi's most pressing need for exhibition space, an atrium and more space for cafe's, shops etc.
notjim

Return to Ireland