Parnell Square

Parnell Square

Postby StephenC » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:42 pm

Also on my travels...

A new development is being sought on Parnell St on the current site of the car dealership. 4 mixed use blocks between P St. and Granby Row.

Around the corner on Parnell Square permission for a restored Georgian terrace on the current derelict site. This is very welcome as it now means that Parnell will once again be intact as a square. A few more renovations of other buidlings here (the recently in the news sqautters paradise is being renovated) and implementation of some of the IAP recommendations shoudl really lift what was a depressingly rundown area. An Poblacht will have to move out... it will be far too middle class for them.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby emf » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:44 pm

The Hugh Lane Gallery have a model for there new extension into the former National Ballroom in their foyer, (and also on their website I think!!)
emf

Postby GrahamH » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:58 pm

Is the National Ballroom lettering listed of something!?
Why the hell is it still there?

I was looking at Malton's picture of Charlemont House across the road from it on those facinating 'Malton Trail' signs (I'm not sure he deserves a tourist trail named after him) and there are lanterns atop the obelisks in the forecourt of the house - these should be reinstated.
Also the Nt Ballroom and the house on the other side of the Hugh Lane would appear to have been built as part of the compostion, flanking each side of Charlemont's mansion which is unusual.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:52 pm

Was passing the Square today and had a look at the site of the three ill-fated Georgians - the plot of the 3 houses is extraordinarily small, it really goes to demonstrate the density at which 18th century townhouses were built - we can learn a lot from them today (although without the two acres of back yard separating the house from the stinking stables and cesspools)

The application reads for 16 apartments in the new structures - 10 of which are one-bedroomed.
One senses the meddling fingers of Zoe Developments here...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GregF » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:55 am

However is'nt it good to see this long neglected area of the city getting a new lease of life. Would be good it the Garden of Remberence was given a make over too.....Despite the sculpture by Oisin Kelly and the cruciform pool etc....I think this park looks ill fitting. Maybe a new somewhat grandiose entrance to the park would be a start....
GregF
Old Master

Postby kefu » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:43 am

They are definitely giving the Garden a makeover. OPW already have plans, which include a new broad entrance facing out to the gallery.
kefu

Postby GrahamH » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:51 pm

Its very much a park 'of its time'.

The beginings of change from largely institutional use to residential on the Square must be welcomed - breathing new life and all that.
Here's hoping other houses may switch over also - not however - into glorified bed-sits.
GrahamH
Old Master

Return to Ireland