School of Music

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:13 pm

Is that the red brick stylie one that was "inspired" by East Village, Douglas and the Georgian terrace further up the Quay? What is being built where the orange building is (see below). It's not THAT bad - it could be alot worse (i.e. nearly every single apartment development the length of the Dublin Quays)

Or the monstrous silver thing adjacent in this picture - I thought that got rejected.

d_d_dallas

Postby sw101 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:55 am

Inspired my ass. They designed the east village for god sake! self-inspiration? odd. whats the think on the watergold building at the end of the east village? its the yellow stone one with green glass and a funny roof line.

wow. never saw that silver thingy. uuugly. That look worked well on the siemens building, possibly because of its industrial and dockland location, and it proximity to the station, but its not too nice down by the river.
sw101

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:57 am

Watergold is probably the most schizofrenic (unintentionally I imagine) building in Cork. A complete mess. It would have been a really good opportunity to provide some unity to lands around (which all will be developed) and help start off the possibility of a new street side progressing back to the main village. Instead they've merely accentuated Douglas' reputation as "little america"!!! Known as the Addam's Family House in some local circles.

That said - the apartments inside are supposed to be fabulous - the view on either side discounted!
d_d_dallas

Postby sw101 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:33 am

They are. The offices are pretty cushty too. Who wouldn't want to look at the douglas court carpark all day?
sw101

Postby bunch » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:55 pm

that silver thing is an older application which was refused because of two existing buildings on the quayside which were to be demolished, a new application has been submitted (or is close to), which retains these two existing buildings.
bunch

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:19 pm

Hmmm - I have a bad feeling about the future of Lavitt's quay and Popes Qy - there are too many application refusals because of the proposed demolitions of older not really noteworthy buildings - so the City Council propose to retain the facades and developments go ahead at the exact same scale with these ludicrous out of scale facades. Example: Owen O'Callaghan and TCH buildings going on opposite side - these huge blocks reaching six stories dwarfing some two story facade. I'm all in favour of retention - but the line has to be drawn somewhere. In this case it really would be better to clear the site, or not proceed at all.
d_d_dallas

Previous

Return to Ireland