ringsend chimney demolished

ringsend chimney demolished

Postby mamoun » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:12 pm

hi,

a friend of mine who lives in ringsend is scandalised by the recent demolition of an old redbrick chimney, right at the bridge that connects to pearse street. he's wondering if it was a listed structure and if the company that erected scaffolding around it a while ago had permission to tear it down. i called an taisce but haven't gotten through to anyone there as yet. does anyone here know how i might find out whether the demolition was legit, and does anyone know any history of the chimney i'm talking about?

thanks,

--brian
mamoun

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:15 pm

old Gasworks site at the bridge?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:42 pm

Is that not further down? I think it's just opposite the millenium tower. I remember the chimney alright - but didn't really notice it disappearing! Must pay more attention...

There's so much construction going on there at the moment (esp Barrow St) I doubt anyone knows whats really going on. The plan for the area is fairly comprehensive though - if the chimney was marked to stay then it defintely wouldn't have been "mistakenly" taken down. The only thing I can think of that has to remain is the actual gasometer itself.
d_d_dallas

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:56 pm

d_d_dallas there is an old Gas site at the bridge between the two docks... I think that is where he may be talking about?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby mamoun » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:08 pm

my apologies, a clarification:

the deceased chimney is not the big gasworks chimney, but a small one about 25 feet tall, just at the bridge, on the right coming from ringsend into town, apparently close enough to the street for pedestrians to touch it. it looked of 19th-century vintage.

hopefully my concerned source will get online this evening and describe it further. thanks for the comments.

--brian
mamoun

Postby StephenC » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:00 am

That development we discussed a while back.... using the Art Deco garage... is coming on. I think it looks pants though.

More interesting was a DCC revovation of social housing on Boyne St. Old 19c terraces given very sympathetic steel and brick rear extensions and landscaping. I want to live there! Pearse House is next on the list.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:26 pm

Archers garage? Walked past it the other day... Is the new building going to be totally disconnected from the 3rd rate rehash of the original garage? The L shape around makes it look ridiculous and only serves to accentuate the sorry tale behind the garage in the first place.
d_d_dallas

Return to Ireland