On The Edge?

On The Edge?

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:57 pm

ON THE EDGE?:
DESIGN AND MATERIAL CULTURE IN AND OF IRELAND

The Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Dún Laoghaire, sponsored by the Design History Society, will be hosting a one-day, inter-disciplinary conference on the theme of Irish design and material culture since the founding of the State in 1922. On the Edge aims to stimulate debate about ‘Irish design’; its location within wider European and global design frameworks; the discourses provoked by consideration of such terminology; the agents involved in the making and promotion of ideas of ‘Irishness’ through designed objects; the experiences of Irish designers working abroad and immigrant designers practicing in Ireland.

The day will be divided in two: a morning of historical/theoretical papers and an afternoon with a key-note address, followed by debate and discussion led by a panel of design practitioners from a range of disciplines.

Participation is encouraged from academics, curators, educators, practitioners, researchers, students, writers, or anyone with a general interest in the area.

24 October 2003
The Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin.

http://www.iadt.ie/events/ontheedge/edge.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby garethace » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:04 pm

Just read through the Inventory, sounds interesting. Is Frank organising it, or speaking, or both do you think Paul?

Anybody here going?
garethace

Postby LK » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:57 pm

Garethace, I'm the conference convenor/organiser. Frank McD is chairing one of the panels, but is not one of the speakers. If you'd like further details you can contact me at Linda.King@iadt.ie.
LK

Postby garethace » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:03 pm

I think I will definetly make it, if there are places still open.
garethace

Return to Ireland