Busaras revamp

Postby James » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:29 pm

Paul

If I might correct you and even suggest an apology is due:

Regarding An Taisce and the Irish Georgian Society's attitude to Bus Aras:

An Taisce have been raising Cain with the City Council and CIE over proposed plans for the 'renovation' of Bus Aras and have been doing so with little or no support since the first tranche of major internal refurbishment about seven years ago when most of the original Scott designed fittings were trashed.

As to the general attitude of AT to modern Architecture I was peripherally involved in the last round of recommendations regarding lisitngs in the Dublin Area, quite a number of modern movement buildings were recommended for listing with almost none accepted by the City Council for preservation .

You may also be forgetting the role of AT in relation to highlighting the scandalous illegal demolition of Archers - the prominance given to that building did'nt just come out of the blue - a lot of work was done by AT just trying to persuade media to cover it and the City Manager to take action.

Similarly the 'renovation' of the Old Dublin Airport Terminal Building - I have a deep an abiding suspicion thatif it were'nt for Ian Lumley that building would'nt exist even in its current bastardised form.

I've noticed it before not so much on this website but in your own comments: a tendancy to be very unfair in this regard to AT.

As to that - I am sure that An Taisce is unlikely to pursue the matter - the staff have more on their hands than your forum comments. I would however add, as an outgoing council member that you might care to check the accuracy of such statements with your solicitors before making them. You're usually very careful about libel and slander on this forum - by all means criticise, but don't invent.

By the way I completely and utterly agree with the majority of the comments on this site regarding the significance of Bus Aras.
James

Postby Gabriel-Conway » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:36 am

Apologies in advance if this posting is seen as something of a rant. I don't mean to offend anyone on this board, but I feel that there is a fundamental lack of respect being given to the human beings who are the ones who have to actually use this building - the people for whom it was designed and built.

I note very little concern given in the above posts to the actual purpose of the building - which is to facilitate the people wishing to travel and ensure that they have a central and reasonably comfortable / convienient hub, with suitable refreshment / shopping / information resources available.

Busarus was built to provide a decent bus station for the travelling public, against huge and vocal opposition from the great and the good who felt that they were undeserving of such a building, and sure wouldn't they be better just waiting in the rain on the quays like they used to?

That attitude still seems to be prevelant today.

A similar effort by CIE to provide a terminal for city bus users was squashed in the 80s when after years of building up a land-bank, it was taken from them for the Temple Bar scheme. The result being that almost every street in the city is filled with bus termini, people still wait in the rain (shelters impractical or not allowed in many places) and the view of many fine buildings is obscured.

Please don't deny a modern, revamped terminal to the thousands of tired and weary travellers who use Busarus daily.

If you really care about the building so much, then arrange to donate a similarly-sized and centrally located plot of land, with planning permission for a modern terminal, and the funds for it to be built.

Then you can sit in Busarus and gaze at it all day long!

Gabriel
Gabriel-Conway

Postby notjim » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:37 pm

but Gabriel, what problem would the tired and weary etc have with a carefully restored busarus? it was designed as a terminal.
notjim

Previous

Return to Ireland