will sligo clip the wings of Dunlop and Murray

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:39 pm

2.1 Alan

I Was also awarded the Only prize for the core subject of my honours Degree

The one person who got the 1:1 is an exceptional individual and I have no problem being behind him

And you still have answered the question on net usable floor space as a proportion of the development.

As you contend this development was only viable at 100% why not talk about what proportion you were actually offered.
PVC King

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:47 pm

och I was only pulling your leg , I can tell your a clever man. All that stuff about conquist....conquest...........conquist...... Spanish soldiers and gold and quotes and everything.

But you can surely understand why I don't trust you. Won't send you anything, consequently.
alan d

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:50 pm

Best keep your opinions about An Taisce private as well, without those figs your argument could never hold the Garravogue

I like your work but not not your opinions on the people I am consulting to
PVC King

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:06 pm

No one reads anything on this site anyway Diaspora, that's why An Taisce doesn't feel the need to plant people who pretend to be what they're not ........(I suspect James is also from An Taisce? ) so there's no need therefor for the threat.

As for holding the Garravogue, well we'll see.

If we are successful in the end the people of Sligo will have a first class contemporary project which we and our client will have worked very hard to pull of, despite the people you are supposedly consulting to.
alan d

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:22 pm

I never pretended to be anything but at least had the decency to answer a direct question.

As for threats the only thing that has been threatened is a protected structure.
PVC King

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:45 pm

Brilliant, fucking brilliant retort

Think you obviously were robbed of that 1st class honours, myself.

Maybe see you in Sligo soon? It's about an hour south from Donegal on the west Coast. Can't miss it, it's got a big limestone land mass on it's western edge.

The people are very, very friendly but unfortunately know a chancer when they see one.
alan d

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:55 pm

Not at all Alan You'll have to have a pint in that Georgian Mansion.

Which was originally a guild hall, no the Irish Georgian Society got most of the Set Pieces they got left with the habitats and the odd union hall

Give me a shout if your in Dublin I owe you pint at this stage

I believe the expression is a 'Chancy man'
PVC King

Postby alan d » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:19 pm

Think I'd rather sit on the sharp end of a short stick, Diaspora.

No offence mind and thanks anyway
alan d

Postby sw101 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:54 pm

Ouch. its a barbed world we live in
sw101

Postby Devin » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:12 pm

Fin said: "[An Taisce] went, they savaged all around them and then left the natives of the country in a worse state" ?

This is Jackie Healy Rae stuff.

Whose side are the architectural community on anyway?

The whole of rural Ireland villifiy An Taisce because they (rural Ireland) want to build dormer-windowed Georgian bungalows all over the landscape and An Taisce manage to prevent about one in 200 of these being built.
Devin
Old Master

Postby James » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:49 pm

Alan - You are that rare thing, A Complete and Utter Gobshite!!.

I think that I said earlier on this thread that the architectural profession needs to do some growing up. It seems to be particularly true of your postings. You obviously have talent, its a pity that you're also thin skinned and egotistical - not a pleasant combination.

You bash away at the old "we wuz robbed" line because you failed to address arelatively straightforward issue surrounding the conservation of an existing building.

You plug the 'An Taisce' thing as if it was actually something to be ashamed of to take an interest in the environment and conservation.

Personally I enjoy conservation work because it enables me to get into the skin of another architect and see things from his perspective, because it involves a different type of problem to the ones usually encountered i nnew build work and because you don't have to be part of the overblown architectural beauty parade. However for myself the bulk of my work is new build and rather good stuff at that.

You seem to have a problem with that.

I'm an ex member and ex council member of An Taisce and am very proud of my time with them. I don't agree with everythig that they do or say but the'yre commited to long term improvement of environment, most are volunteers and they're not afraid of the development lobby (by which I mean the Healey Rae types and the Mohair Suit brigade).

As to your extraordinary rants at those who disagree with you and your repeated self aggrandisement - Frankly its embarassing. You repeatedly refuse to discuss the architectural merits of the actual proposal one way or another reject any form of true discussion.

Thats why I don't feel much inclination to get involved in this thread - Its impossible to discuss this situation (and it is an interesting one) in a non confrontational manner with you.

Now I'm aware that this reply is lengthy and thatI am not exactly being temperate in my comments, however your tone throughout is really appalling, and rude, and dismissive.
James

Postby sw101 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:15 am

if the above post lasts til morning i'll fall over with shock
sw101

Postby alan d » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:27 am

Ach and here was I thinking that you James and Diaspora might be decent fellows after all....once I got to know you.

"A Complete and Utter Gobshite" , eh?

It's not a phrase we use much in Scotland and take it it's not really a term of endearment? Starting each word with capitals too for emphasis, don't tell me you are the fellow with the 1st Class Honours , Diaspora was refering to earlier?

As for arguement, I have stated our case quite clearly throughtout this topic, you are just not interested in reading it.
alan d

Postby FIN » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:58 am

an taisce in force...good to see that we are monitored anyway...and who is this healy rae???? and it's nice of you to have an interest in country people having their own houses from ur desk in dublin and ur semi d in some estate.
FIN

Postby PVC King » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:22 am

Alan,

I have nothing to do with James he is an ex-member. I will go further to say that type of introduction does nobody any good.

Having looked at that type of reply I am beginning to see why people get so peed off with the organisation.

Because I have no problem putting it on the record, I disagree with one aspect of your design.
PVC King

Postby alan d » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:58 am

Forgive me Diaspora but there's no point in trying to backtrack now. Once you press that wee "submit reply" button........ well it's out there, floating round the ether. The rule is the same for us all.

How quick you were to jump in after James's earlier comments, instantly dismissing our clients significant investment in his home town and our work which has taken over a year to produce , with a "Take it to Europe"

I doubt if you would be making such a statement now, had Paul not twigged that you were connected to An Taisce despite telling me and Fin that this was not the case.

Signed
The Gobshite ( Complete and Utter )
alan d

Postby PVC King » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:09 pm

There is a huge difference between today and yesterday, his first response didn't insult you directly.

You went for the AT button without any justification yesterday.

Take it to Europe is always a reference to not really analysing your credible options. Really Alan have you never had this in Scotland, Architects are there to be shot at here.

His second response took no account of all that was said yesterday.

I wouldn't knock your design abilities,
I simply differ with you on protected structures.

And I like the way member has become connected.

Alan we're all connected to a lot of clients, and notice the way I have left your client out.

We are looking at this from a different perspective, we all have our opinions;
all that anyone can ask is that we respect each other if not the positions.

And no you may not sign your name Gobshite

you need at least three family members on a county council the first two in a party and another de-selected for corruption prior to attaining that particular doctorate.
PVC King

Postby Devin » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:06 pm

Fin: Since when do you have to be a member of An Taisce to think the countryside is being wrecked by white bungalows?
Devin
Old Master

Postby alan d » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:10 pm

Is that what this is about Devin, protecting rural Ireland from white bungalows?

In March 2003, the County Manager of Sligo was walking around council chambers with our planning application under his arm, telling everyone who would listen, including our client that this was the best application the council had ever received .

Tomorrow we will get official notification that it has been refused.

I wondered at the start of this topic how anything ever gets build in Ireland, and am still bewildered.
alan d

Postby PVC King » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:12 pm

All comes back to my definition of Gobshite.
PVC King

Postby alan d » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:13 pm

Diaspora, do you ever go home?
alan d

Postby PVC King » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:15 pm

I am going to the second one for a few weeks in March

I only responded because one off houses and your development don't merit discussion on the same thread.
PVC King

Postby alan d » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:33 pm

I think in one sense they are interlinked.

As an outsider I am frankly amazed that anyone pays the slightest bit of attention to anything An Taisce says, unlike our own Historic Scotland the have no legal jurisdiction.

They may be an organisation with an illustrious past that includes a roll cal of great men and women but in my dealings I have found them to be patronising and inept and I think that view is upheld by other contributers to this site. In fact if there is anyone out there who will speak up for the organisation I would be happy to hear it...apart from those who are part of it.

I have just been told it is because of the role the organisation plays in protecting rural Ireland from white bungalows.
alan d

Postby PVC King » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:41 pm

Just to clarify that Alan Historic Sotland has no legal status or An Taisce has no legal Status?
PVC King

Postby alan d » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:54 pm

Historic Scotland is a legal entity.

If you do not get listed building consent from Historic Scotland, where your project involves the demolition or alteration to a listed building, then that project cannot be undetaken, even if you get planning approval.
alan d

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland