gild the spike

Postby colinsky » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:54 am

Originally posted by Papworth
I noticed in Spain that every roundabout along the Costa features a work of art, the only one I am aware of in Dublin is the one in Rialto which features two Dolphins and was financed by DCC

There's also the white pointy-thing in the small roundabout at the entrance to Dublin Airport.
colinsky

Postby alan d » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:53 am

Saw the completed Spike for the first time on Thursday Paul, night and day.

Bloody brilliant. Outstanding for Dublin and I wish we had it in Glasgow.

No more poor mouth comment please
alan d

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:59 am

the Son of Spike from Leith in Edinburgh, I think they're hoping it will grow.

Alan, should have gave me a shout, I'd have bought you a pint. Just the one.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby alan d » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:28 am

Is this a joke?

Not the pint bit , the spike.

Be in Dublin again soon Paul and I'll take that pint off you, all right........ but not in Groggan's
alan d

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:13 pm

No joke... down near the Central Bar... was on a bit of a pub crawl, spotted it and luckily had camera squeezed into coat pocket.... its art man!
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby kefu » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:55 pm

You can not believe anything Paul Clerkin says. Next thing you know, the minispike will be on the front page of the Irish Independent.
kefu

Postby Niall » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:53 pm

bet the one in Scotland has no joins showing and gets a clean now and again
Niall

Postby alan d » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:43 pm

I'm gonna ask John Graby at the RIAI to conduct a poll, leaving out Dublin Taxi Drivers of course and Groggan's and maybe An Taisce, and if the same mealy mouthed negative attitude pestsist, conduct a campaign to get it shifted over to Glasgow where it will be appreciated for what it is a POWERFUL and innovative piece of urban design.

You guy's, forgive me, need to take your head out from up your a**s and see a bit more of the world
alan d

Postby notjim » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:17 pm

alan d, you miss the point, we like the spike, we just wish we couldn't see the joins, it diminishes it, makes it look less fully realised.
notjim

Postby StephenC » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:37 pm

I thought it was the dirt of it that was the problem.... and the base..... and the lighting (or lack of)... and the beacon on top and halfway down.... and the 'DNA-like' pattern around the lower section....

Point taken Alan we shall learn to love it...!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby alan d » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:51 pm

Well, I hope so Stephen, for it is something to see, lamb kebab stain, dirt, dna like pattern and all.
alan d

Postby StephenC » Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:55 pm

Yes I think so too. To be fair though the majority of us on the site are very supportive of the Spire... its just the niggly things that we comment on and I don't think there's anything bad about that.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby redeoin » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:17 pm

The reason they are not cleaning it, is because of the vast quantities of dust and dirt being dislodged in the redevelopment of the street. Sometimes the dust there is too thick to breathe these days.

When the street is finished, they plan to give the spire a good scrub, and then keep it clean...
redeoin

Postby Rory W » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:20 pm

Hope my DNA doesn't look like that

This weeks t-shirt slogan " I like (the) Spike"
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:42 pm

Originally posted by kefu
You can not believe anything Paul Clerkin says. Next thing you know, the minispike will be on the front page of the Irish Independent.

Yeah I know....but you know I've caught the Star out several times too? And the Mirror? and the Herald? and the Sun?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:14 pm

If we wait for the street's completion, it won't be cleaned til 2048!
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby kefu » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:53 pm

And you know you could do it again in the morning if you wanted.
kefu

Postby notjim » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:49 pm

the problem with you alan d is you come from somewhere without a spike, so you still see the spike debate in yes/no terms, here we have a spike so the debate has matured: what sort of shot-peening, what sort of lighting, should it be gold? that kind of thing.
notjim

Postby Peter Fitz » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:53 pm

whatever about the spike, it definitely should not be gold. tack.
Peter Fitz

Postby alan d » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:19 am

.........like a loo roll holder from a giant Turkish ship owner's bathroom
alan d

Postby GregF » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:27 am

Silver is a trendy colour at the mo...however gold is everlasting. Would tie in with our ancient Irish history of Or .....aka gold!
GregF
Old Master

won't you please stop moaning?

Postby trace » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:47 pm

Here's Giles Woseley's glowing encomium, previously mentioned by Papworth, from the Daily Telegraph of August 16:

Viewfinder: Spire of Dublin

The simplicity of Ian Ritchie's towering steel needle belies the complexity of the engineering, says Giles Worsley

Soaring 120 metres high, cutting through the night sky as thin as a blade of light, mysterious on a rainy day, brilliant in sharp sunlight, Ian Ritchie's recently completed Spire of Dublin is as convincing as any monument to be found in a Renaissance city. Constructed in celebration of Ireland's confident future in the third millennium, it is a feat of astonishing technical competence and a sharp rejoinder to the clunking, heavy-handed memorials with which the British continue to clutter their streets and parks.

This is a truly 21st-century monument. It doesn't proclaim the authority of a king or a conqueror, nor does it memorialise some terrible act of savagery. Instead, it is an affirmation of the essential optimism of the human spirit. Built of stainless steel with a bronze base, the spire's apparent simplicity belies the complexity of the engineering. This is what Norman Foster tried to do with his "blade of light" across the River Thames, but where that grunts and strains to appear effortless, Ritchie's spire does not even break sweat.

The site is charged with historic resonance: a statue of Nelson stood there until it was blown up by the IRA, opposite the General Post Office, where the 1916 Irish uprising took place. It lies on O'Connell Street, once the prosperous heart of Dublin, now a tired provincial high street. The spire captures the spirit of the new Ireland, healing the wounds of earlier nationalisms while promising the revival of what should be a great European boulevard.

Modern and yet timeless, the spire has achieved the hardest of architectural feats. Medieval masons seeking to push at the boundaries of the structurally feasible would recognise what Ian Ritchie and the engineers Ove Arup & Partners have sought to achieve. So, too, would Renaissance architects with their keen awareness of the importance of a sense of civic pride in a successful city. And yet there is nothing nostalgic about it. Looking for the winner of the 2004 Sterling Prize? Head for Dublin.
trace

Postby GrahamH » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:01 pm

There is no question as to the amazing precision of it's engineering, the rolling of the steel into tapered cylinders was executed to something like a 4 millimetre average in circumference.
But the joins are still disapointingly evident - if only there was a stainless steel Polyfilla...
GrahamH
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland