Information and architecture

Postby garethace » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:39 pm

Oh and perhaps refrain from the personal insults, architecture is meant to be a profession and should enjoy the relevant curtesies.

Yeah, i really feel 'taken' under the wing of this 'profession' alright. ROFL :-) But i am extremely glad for you, that you have found such a comfortable relationship with the profession all round, i always wanted to have the same. :-( Tell us, what's your secret?

"why should my brush lie to you, just because my eyes lie to me"

I guess like Jackson Pollock spilling paint all over the canvas, people found it difficult that not using a brush was painting. I guess, this whole thing with VIZ now, is a bit like that discussion. Poor old Jackson, went to bits though in the process of figuring out the answers. You should all see that movie.

BTW, it is no coincidence either, that his art happened with the backdrop of America in the 40s and 50s. The atom bomb, fast airplanes and cars etc. This discussion, we are talking about, has happened against the backdrop of more new technological 'disasters'.

when it comes to it, a building is a series of 2d drawings, legible and decipherable to constructors, who then construct. youze are all fancy pants.

Two points to you as architects:

One, "Any idiot can own a business". Just because you are a great Architect, Scientist, Planner or Programmer does not mean that will translate into knowing how to best run a company/firm/design house. Other skills are needed that are outside the normal skill set. (One of them is about knowing when to admit you don’t have the skills needed and finding some one who does!)

Two, and this might break your heart. Most of the time what people get in the field from the design house is not what ends up in the real building. Even on huge multimillion £ projects that have to be signed off on and approved have minor to moderate changes on them that the personnel in the field never bother to send back to the design firm to get the changes approved. Some times there are even MAJOR problems with the drawings and the people work with out them while they wait for them to be fixed. And by fixed, drawing what the people in the field say will work.

I am not sure if you work with mechanical drawings or with design drawings, but in my experience the problem with mechanical drawings is that the people doing them do not have any real experience out in the field with the way, that things really work/fit together/look/or match with other contractors needs/demands. That being the case it is easier to fix it your self out in the field than trying to explain it to some one who lacks the real concrete experience to understand.

brian, where did you go this year? your theatre was cool

I had to spend some time, learning to distinguish between what me own eyes were in fact telling me, the 3DS VIZ visualisation i would have done for that theatre would have looked fabulous. But then when you read a chapter like Ching's chapter about circulation, i wondered, in the euphoria of learning VIZ and working for architects doing visualisations - what dimension has my eyes, been forced to suppress. I would hate to spend the next 20/30 years of effort searching for architectural finesse in 3 dimensionals, when the architecture is really to be found in the dimensions of space and time.

I feel that education has managed to hide certain aspects of architecture from youngsters, as oposed to revealing them. I needed to understand the lessons of that first project, the spatial exploration project - to respond to it intelligently from a purely architectural standpoint. I feel i have come out the other end of that journey now, and have tried to share some of it with the professionals, undergrads etc.

Whoever does 'write the book' on architecture and information, it will not be me. It still awaits its theorey of relativity. I have simply been far too 'marginalised' by my architectural profession now in my own country now, than to worry about what happens in future as regards information and architecture. The profession doesn't employ people qualified in both information management and architecture.

But at some stage in the future, someone will write the book i am sure, and it will be something along the lines of the draft i have shown you up above. I consider that post merely as a time capsule, for future generations to discover what 'the early days' were like for young twenty-somethings.

It is quite a scary, but also uplifting moment when you finally nail your colours to a certain post. I feel i have done that now, and it is more than enough for me at least. My Dad is a writer, and he told me the world is full of 'pregnant writers'. I will not fall into that trap myself.
garethace

Postby Héctor Corcín » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:10 pm

ok. I'll write it then. Thanks for the info. ;)
maybe after Revit 19. oops, books aren't used in that year. cya.
Héctor Corcín

Postby garethace » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:34 pm

Just as a side note, a plan is actually a wonderful 4-dimensional document - because what the architect is concerned about doing, is to relate to how a person 'moves' through a building/organisation. I.e. The plan, is an abstract representation of what a person in reality is doing - walking, navigating and experiencing in both time and space.

It was having discovered the limitations of 3DS VIZ visuals, that i suddenly re-discovered the plan as a 'circulation document' for the architect. Or course it does mean alot more to other people.
garethace

Postby garethace » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:14 pm

Dealing with things in a much simpler way here:

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2244
garethace

Postby garethace » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:49 pm

Data mining project, and information from airline tickets

So much for the privacy we used to enjoy in the 20c!

Brian O' Hanlon.
garethace

Postby garethace » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:17 pm

This thread just came to my attention here. It appears that how an Architect would layout a competition presentation and how best to optimise web site performance are fundamentally different things.

Brian O' Hanlon.

P.S. Has anyone seen that episode of Time Team, where they had a large LCD screen to look at the Archaeology of the aerial photo?

I love the concept of Portfolio wall myself

Anyone interested in digital storage and collaboration may find this article of interest
garethace

Postby garethace » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:31 pm

Ateliers Jean Nouvel is a selection of talents, techniques, nationalities and ideas all working in and around the creative force that is Jean Nouvel.

His first projects date from the mid 1970s, but he attained architectural celebrity in the late 1980s with the IMA (Arab World Institute) project. Even then one could easily discern the “techno aspect” of Jean Nouvel’s work, the dialogue with the machine, the admiration for reflective sleekness and digitalized transparence. Needless to say, the computer worked its way into the office early on.

INterview with Andrew Hartness

His favourite online resource for inspiration
garethace

Previous

Return to Ireland