Bridges & Boardwalks

Re: FRIDGES

Postby Devin » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:36 am

Or "Portaloos" according to the Irish Times' 'What's Not Hot' section on Saturday.
Devin
Old Master

Re: Bridges & Boardwalks

Postby GrahamH » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:39 am

heheh
Nah, fridges is still the more accurate term, even if less humerous :)

Here's hoping their offspring won't crop up on O'Connell Bridge as part of plans for there; their breeding like rabbits along the boardwalks is quite enough thank you very much, albethey the more fashion-conscious wood-clad generation :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:31 am

Graham Hickey wrote:heheh
they're breeding like rabbits along the boardwalks is quite enough thank you very much, albethey the more fashion-conscious wood-clad generation :)

The boardwalk can take these type of structures quite well as at least half the height is mitigated by the Quay walls and the kiosks are framed against terraces of buildings behind the Quay thoroughfares. The fridges in contrast stand out for the egotistical flight of fancy that they are. The market has spoken http://www.lisney.com

I hope for the individual traders (2/4) sake that they hold them on no more than short term licences and I would be examining my break options very closely. :(
PVC King

Postby GrahamH » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:20 pm

Wonder if the open ones are doing any decent trade - I passed them today and the man in the newsagent one looked bored senseless; then again staff tend to in most stores so maybe that's not the best indicator...

Agreed about the boardwalk kiosks, they do work well - just being flippant earlier - however the wood cladding is in an very poor state on both of them and requires immediate attention - they look so tatty.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:06 am

Have to laugh at the contractors working on the Boardwalk - they've just covered the most recently erected handrail in sheets of plastic and parcel tape to protect it from The Attack of airborne detritus :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby notjim » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:24 pm

the eden quay boardwalk is open now, walked on it today.
notjim

Postby notjim » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:25 pm

so according to the ddda newsletter the new foot bridge, the _sean o'casey_ bridge, is arriving this week and will be open by may.
notjim

Postby StephenC » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:40 pm

Looking forward to that. The Boardwalk extension was finished to a good standard...even managed to stick to the contemporary theme with rubbish bins. Nice shiny stainless steel bin attached to the quay wall. A better solution that the cast iron ones on the original. Its a pity the phone boxes at the junction with OC Bridge are still there. Next step can I suggest they are removed and the outer paving relaid. Maybe even some new bus shelters.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Sue » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:36 pm

All telephone kiosks should now be removed around Ireland. No one needs them any more. We use our mobiles. They are just targets for vandals, and invariably unsightly heaps of broken glass and rubbish.
Sue

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:49 pm

They obviously still make money - if they didn't, do you not think that Eircom would have them pulled out?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Sue » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:01 pm

yeah, fair point. maybe councils should decide that these things aren't worth it anymore, though. there was a case in the past that the public needed to make emergency calls to the cops or whatever; that need doesn't exist. the only people that use them now are crims who don't want to leave traces

all public jacks should be pulled down while they're at it. dublin is disfigured with them e.g. the one in the centre of terenure village, the one at mount jerome cemetry... is that one still there opposite Trinity?
Sue

Postby Rusty Cogs » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:08 pm

notjim wrote:so according to the ddda newsletter the new foot bridge, the _sean o'casey_ bridge, is arriving this week and will be open by may.

Well the month of March has come and gone and still no sign of the new footbridge. Unless it's one of those fancy invisible/optical illusion ones as used by Indiana Jones on his last crusade. Maybe I should go down there and attempt it ???
Rusty Cogs

Postby Lotts » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:26 am

In fairness Rusty the bridge did arrive in March - It was being unloaded yesterday.
(as mentioned on) http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=1615&page=2

Today you can see most of the peices on the big flat construction barge. Very dark grey. No photos from me I'm afraid as it was way to wet to remember to bring a camera this morning! Though I did see someone else taking pics with a fancy camera- hope they're a member of this forum!
Lotts

Postby StephenC » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:33 pm

The latest word from the DDDA is mid April
StephenC
Old Master

Postby kefu » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:10 pm

Do ye think this is a new structure or work on the existing one?

Westland Row will be closed at the times and dates stated below this weekend. Westland Row from its junction with Pearse Street to the south of Railway Viaduct, on Sunday 3rd April 2005 between the hours of 6.00am and 2.00pm. Northbound traffic will be diverted via Merrion Square West, Merrion Street, Hume Street, St. Stephen's Green, Cuffe Street, Kevin Street, Bride Street , Bride Road, Nicholas Street and Winetavern Street to the North Quays. Southbound traffic will be diverted via Pearse Street and the city centre. Local vehicular access and full pedestrian access will be maintained at all times. The Closure is to facilitate works on a pedestrian footbridge over Westland Row.
kefu

Postby phil » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:22 pm

Kefu. With the construction of Trinity's new building, I have a suspicion that the pedestrian bridge (between Goldsmith Hall and the campus) might temporarily be removed. I am speculating of course, but I don't see how it will remain whilst the new building is being built.
phil
Old Master

Postby adhoc » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:30 pm

That bridge is staying in situ. They are knocking the stairway/lift access tower on the corner of Pearse Street and Westland Row. The bridge is now supported by a temporary structure closer to Pearse Street roadway. The bridge will be integrated into the new building in time.
adhoc

Postby phil » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:41 pm

Cheers Adhoc.

What do you reckon they are closing the road for?
phil
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:49 pm

The transference of the load onto the temporary structure?

The new Boardwalk is interesting - the newness is all very strange, don't remember the older ones being like that at all :)
The new wood of the seating is magnificent - and the amount of seating the whole way down is a distinct improvement from the previous scheme. The shiny bins look well too. What doesn't however is the crude piece of railing put in almost against the quay wall to guard the hole around the flight of steps down to the water. Whatever about the handrail negating some of the utilitarian appearance of the railings along the river - bare and in against the granite walls it looks totally inappropriate.

What is of note is the new perspective this Boardwalk affords you of Burgh Quay, and the D'Olier St/ Westmoreland St apex at O'Cll Bridge - things you either saw in passing as you walked along Eden Quay, or never saw at all because of the bus stops and all the weird glum people staring at you :)
Being able to sit down and look has its benefits, but also its downside - that is the sight of all the crap shovelled in around that area over the past 40 years.

The Hawkins regeneration, whatever form that may take, will be a welcome boost.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:26 pm

I also had a walk down the new stretch of boardwalk last Friday - was amazed by the fact the new stretch already reeked of piss - it was quite revolting
Rory W
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:43 pm

That's just the river Rory...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:31 am

Some pics of the new Boardwalk, including the lovely new seating & bins - captured while still clean & unweathered.
Also the quay wall which hasn't been cleaned - it's got a sooty finish to it that looks well against the new timber.

This Boardwalk has a more solid feel than the others - doesn't seem to shudder as much :). Also the overhanging trees create a pleasant backdrop:
Attachments
Eden Quay Boardwalk Seating, Wall & Bin.JPG
Eden Quay Boardwalk Seating, Wall & Bin.JPG (72.9 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
Eden Quay Boardwalk Seating.JPG
Eden Quay Boardwalk Seating.JPG (73.78 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
Eden Quay Boardwalk Wide.JPG
Eden Quay Boardwalk Wide.JPG (72.41 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Rusty Cogs » Mon May 30, 2005 1:08 pm

Well I'm getting seriously demoralised with the use of the new boardwalk on Eden Quay. I walked along it yestarday and I'd say about half of the people sitting there were 'daytime drinkers'. It was particularly depressing to see one group throwing their 'empties' into the Liffey once done. Was this it's intended use ? I actually feel on guard using it now.
Rusty Cogs

Postby Gaudi » Mon May 30, 2005 1:44 pm

I must agree. It is a disgrace. This section of the boardwalk is now dominated by druggies and drunks. It is seriously intimidating. Gardai at nearby Store St and Pearse St seem to keep well clear of it.

Drug clinics at Amiens St and Pearse St attract a huge number of undesirables into this area. The opening of the drug clinic on Amiens st (next to the Dart station) a few years ago resulted in the permanent closure of the that Dart station. Access to Dart platforms is now only through Connolly mainline. Apparently it was closed because of druggies wheeling and dealing, shooting up, and generally intimidating people in the pedestrian access tunnels.

Anyway it now appears the boardwalk is their favoured venue for such activities.
Gaudi

Postby GrahamH » Mon May 30, 2005 9:34 pm

Ah - often wondered why that DART section of Connolly was closed...

Unfortunately I'd have to agree about the new Boardwalk too - they've all just moved down from Custom House Quay and Butt Bridge, given a permanent home as it were.
They're all harmless enough, aside from the 'odd' bout of fighting, shouting and generally being agressive, but certainly they generate an intimidating environment when the Boardwalk is empty, which frankly is most of the time. The rubbish left behind is the worst aspect of their congregating - not to mention them making the area very hostile for families, or even sitting down for your lunch.

Considering they always congregate in groups around this area, I don't know what policing can do other than just move them on to somewhere else...
GrahamH
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland