Bridges & Boardwalks

Re: Bridges & Boardwalks

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:09 pm

Any photos of the new stretch of boardwalk?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:46 pm

Here's some pics of it. Not posting out of admiration though - I'm not exactly the world's greatest fan of the Boardwalk. I think AT's initial assessment of it as gimmicky and utilitarian perfectly sums it up.
Whereas it is undoubtedly very pleasant to walk along, and the wood finishes particularly attractive to users at close quarters, on the whole the structure feels temporary and certainly looks it - and the Ormond Quay section with the various slopes and slants looks positively ugly tacked into the quay wall. The grills used for balustrade are equally so.

I appreciate it's very easy to criticise the project without coming up with alternatives or solutions, but I think it nothing short of ridiculous that pedestrians are forced out into a cantilevered ledge over the river in order to allow traffic take precedence along the quays.
Surely the quay environment could have been improved rather than invading in such a manner on the riverscape, or at least we could have waited for the Port Tunnel to open and observe the traffic results.
Eden Quay is especially wide to cater for improvements. And if the pedestrian situation is such that the Boardwalk is practiacally needed , how come there isn't one on the southern quays?
Perhaps to put things in context, in 15-20 years time when the Boardwalk will probably require reconditioning, will it be refurbished or simply removed?
Attachments
Boardwalk - Burgh Quay 1.JPG
Boardwalk - Burgh Quay 1.JPG (47.56 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:47 pm

And from O'Connell Bridge:
Attachments
Boardwalk - O'Cll Bridge 3.JPG
Boardwalk - O'Cll Bridge 3.JPG (96.97 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:48 pm

A view from Butt Bridge:
Attachments
Boardwalk - Butt Bridge 1.JPG
Boardwalk - Butt Bridge 1.JPG (63.38 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Lorcan » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:46 pm

Liffey river taxi gearing up for launch
Lorna Siggins, Marine Correspondent

A river taxi may be running on the Liffey next summer if a plan submitted by the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) is approved by Dublin City Council.

The DDDA is seeking permission to build a landing stage at Bachelor's Walk. The stage would consist of a 20-metre-long floating pontoon with a sliding gate entrance, access platform and gangway for passengers off the boardwalk.

A 54-seater vessel is being built in Sweden for delivery next spring. The authority hopes to run trials on the river for several months. It anticipates that the transport service could be up and floating by June, focusing initially on the tourist market.

The initiative is part of the DDDA's River Liffey regeneration strategy, which also allows for the introduction of a fast commuter ferry service between the docklands and the coast - initially Dún Laoghaire.

The strategy proposed a cross-river ferry between City Quay and the Irish Financial Services Centre (IFSC) II among a series of projects to revive practical use of the waterway.

It is understood that the DDDA has held discussions with several operators in relation to contracting out operation of the services, and may advertise formally for bidders. Navigation of the river's 15 bridges, specifically the upper reaches between the Ha'penny Bridge and Heuston Station, is restricted by tides and the low headroom on fixed structures.

The new Millennium Bridge and the Matt Talbot Bridge are particularly problematic at high tide, and the riverbed rises west of the Ha'penny Bridge, which causes a difficulty at low water. The service could eventually run to Heuston Station. Water bus stops may also be located at Tara Street to link with the DART, at the IFSC I and II, Forbes Street, Britain Quay, the Point Theatre and the Alexandra Basin ferry terminal.

© The Irish Times

Good idea?
Lorcan

Postby Andrew Duffy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:59 am

All entrances to the existing boardwalk were closed last night, with some stonework removed from the quay walls lying by the Millennium Bridge, Any idea if there's anything other than widening the entrances going on?
Andrew Duffy

Postby kefu » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:16 pm

There's no Boardwalk on the southern quays because the sun is more likely to fall on the other side.
I felt at the beginning that it was a gimmicky project but I think it has been the greatest recent success of the City Council, apart from the regeneration of O'Connell Street.
No amount of traffic restriction on the quays would have ever led to a situation where you could have hundreds of people sitting out: reading, drinking coffee as is the case with the Boardwalk on any relatively warm day.
Even when the Port Tunnel is open, I don't think walking along the outer path of the quays would ever be particularly pleasant because of its narrowness. There were still be plenty of buses and cars whizzing by at 35 miles an hour.
kefu

Postby vinnyfitz » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:36 pm

Andrew Duffy wrote:All entrances to the existing boardwalk were closed last night, with some stonework removed from the quay walls lying by the Millennium Bridge, Any idea if there's anything other than widening the entrances going on?

I noticed that at the weekend. I was wondering was it the installation of some flood protection barriers superior to the sandbags that have been around for a while now...
vinnyfitz

Postby StephenC » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:11 pm

Thats it. The new section had them installed (saw them erected one night) and I guess a more formal arrangement is needed now we can expect flooding every year.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:47 pm

Why the long delay with finishing the extension.... anyone know?
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Andrew Duffy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:37 am

I'm pretty sure there's a pedestrian bridge being built that will go between the quays, rougly in the middle of the new boardwalk extension.
Andrew Duffy

Postby PVC King » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:22 pm

I seen that three of the kiosks are now open for trading, I really don't think they look any better open than they did closed and they look a bit light on customers as well, unless the plan was that they would only be busy during the summer.
PVC King

Postby kefu » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:32 pm

I'm told by Dublin City Council that there was a delay in having the wooden boards delivered because of a shipping strike (???) in December. There's no issue apart from that and they're due pretty shortly. Council seem confident it would only be a month or two after that before the extension will be open. Also the work that took place before Xmas re flooding was the construction of so-called Dutch dams (that's what it sounded like). Somebody else can probably enlighten us on what exactly they do.
kefu

Postby GrahamH » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:55 pm

There's a huge 'dam' just gone down on Eden Quay recently, wider than any of the openings in the walls on the older Boardwalk.
Here's the lovely nerw wood going down - the craftmanship in laying the timbers is superb - from the cutting to the joining to the bolting down, very impressive.

Unfortunately it looks like there's going to be a rather nasty problem with this new stretch of Boardwalk - over the past few days most of the brand new, unfinished handrail has been covered, and I mean covered in seagull droppings :o
Never seen anything like it - whether it was just a one off or not I don't know (not exactly an expert on the bowel movements of sea birds) but if this this is going to be the state of affairs along here on a permanent basis I'd gladly stick to Eden Quay, warts and all (yes it's that bad :))
I pity the the person who has to sand it down for finishing...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Rusty Cogs » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:15 pm

Does anyone know if anything is happening with that 2nd Caltrava (spl?) bridge east of Talbot st. bridge. Last I heard (Dec '03) no one was willing to stump up the dough ?
Rusty Cogs

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:17 pm

Graham,
I was in the southern capital yesterday and remarked the same thing crossing the new pedestrian bridge there - A CARPET of droppings. Must be the season for it!
d_d_dallas

Postby kefu » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:17 pm

A new bridge for Merchant's Quay in Dublin: - what do you think this is about?
The picture accompanying would seem to me a subway station in Washington DC.
Looks like a mistake to me

http://www.dublincity.ie/press_news/news/new_pedestrian_bridge_over_liffey.asp
kefu

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:28 pm

very sensitive location - facing the four courts
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:11 pm

Why? Whatever for. Whats wrong with the exisiting bridges!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby phil » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:18 pm

Strange image alright. Do those architects have a web-page? Aswell, as StephenC just said, what is the point in this?
phil
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 pm

Yes - any decent pics anywhere?

This is a highly highly sensitive location - it is Dublin, the image of the city presented to the rest of the world, whatever about our own enjoyment of the location. It is more Dublin than Merrion Square or the Custom House or the Spike will ever be.
That classic river view with O'Donovan Rossa & Fr Matthew bridges and matching balustrading along the quays ought not be touched with a bargepole.
Whereas it is generally accepted now that striking modern architecture works well next to older structures or locations, this should not be an excuse to build anywhere, supposedly because we're so 'enlightened' now.

Leave the location alone. I know it's a typical reactionary response but really, what is wrong with the existing bridges? It seems to be something of a CC hobby now to litter the riverscape with 'striking' new structures...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Devin » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:05 pm

That must be a mistake. You wouldn’t want to go putting a bridge there – enough damage has been done over the past 25 years with putting bridges in the wrong place on the Liffey. Leaving aside the folly of the Loop Line Bridge (which I suppose was just a reflection of the power of the railway companies at the time), the consistent spacing of bridges along the Liffey had always been observed…for hundreds of years…until Frank Sherwin Bridge was stuck in a few feet away from Sean Heuston Bridge in 1982.

Then the Millenium pedestrian bridge which of course ‘enhances criss-cross movement across the Liffey blah blah’ but also compromises the spacing of bridges again.

Then James Joyce Bridge - Yes, coup for the city get a Calatrava bridge etc. etc., but this one is definitely in the wrong place; Because it was squeezed in between two older bridges, it messes up the quay length/river width ratio again. It’s also very close to the oldest and most beautiful bridge on the Liffey, Mellowes (aka Queen Maev) Bridge.
Devin
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:56 pm

I wonder if its a misprint and the CC mean a new bridge at Eden Quay across to Hawkins St. This has definately been mooted before and is part of the IAP for OConnell St. I have never heard a bridge at Merchants Quay mentioned before. And I stand by my comments....what will it connect? Four Courts with SFX? Very odd.

Elsewhere....the new extension to the Boardwalk opens on March 17. I say this every year but can DCC hire a steamcleaner for the rest of the Boardwalk and the bridges and give them a bit of a spruce up for our National Holiday. All those tourist should not have to see a years worth of grime as they promenade. Also (from today's Irish Times) is news that the Liffey bat service should be in place by April. The new pedestrian bridge at chq arrives in March and opens in May while chq itself is still shrouded in letting uncertainty. Pity really...Im dying to get in and have a look. The DDDA are also to announce an upgrade to Custom House Quay to complete the new Liffey walkway and are apparently vacating their awful building and demolishing it later this year.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:19 pm

There is so little detail on that page that it must be a mistake, there is no way that the corpo would commission a bridge and not announce an image heavy press campaign to sell it. Then again they did the fridges in sneakiest possible way.
PVC King

Postby GrahamH » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:58 pm

'The Fridges' - so the title's official then :D

O'Connor Crowe Architects don't appear to have a site which is strange...are they imaginary too? :)
On the issue of the older western bridges, their paving is often in appalling condition, esp at the corners with the quays. Certainly this needs to be improved for pedestrians - bit cheaper than any bridge too.

The chq bridge is exciting - it's great the way bridges take so little time to go up after planning; this one is taking shape quite fast.
Is there a need for that ped bridge at Hawkins/Marlborough Sts, esp so close to O'Cll Bridge? More clutter, not least when combined with the new Boardwalk. Even if Marl St is improved as per the IAP, there's still not going to be the attractions to make people go there. Perhaps in light of the Hawkins redevelopment though...

Good news about the DDDA huts.
GrahamH
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland