Look at de state of Cork, like!

Re: Look at de state of Cork, like!

Postby shrink2cork » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:39 pm

Can anyone help, looking for comments on the pros and cons of buying a listed house??? :confused:
shrink2cork

Postby JPD » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:18 pm

Competence of OPW called into question
Tuesday, 21st June, 2005

There is an emerging lack of confidence about the ability of the Office of Public Works (OPW) to acquire, manage and dispose of property according to the chairman of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC), Michael Noonan.

Mr Noonan was speaking at the launch of a report into, among other issues, the effectiveness of the OPW in managing property deals.

The report says the OPW spent €19 million on five properties to house asylum seekers that were never used.

It criticises the lack of pre-planning or community consultation before purchasing the five properties which are now worth less than was paid for them. One property in Myshall, Co Carlow was purchased for €1.3 million in 2000 and is now worth just €500,000 on the open market.

The OPW was obliged to pay more than the market rate for each of the five properties because of significant local opposition to asylum seekers being housed in the area.

Mr Noonan said the committee was very concerned about the serious waste of taxpayers’ money and stressed the urgency of the OPW getting its "house in order" to avoid the same mistakes being made in the roll-out of the Government’s decentralisation process.

The OPW is charged with buying and selling property under that process.

"Skilled professionals are needed in the OPW to deal with buying and selling property. They need to review their resource base to ensure they have the expertise necessary to undertake complex property transactions. And if not, they need to acquire it quickly - on a contract basis if necessary."

"It takes exceptional skill to have bought property in this country four years ago and to have made a loss on it," he added.

Responding to allegations by Tom Parlon, the Minister with responsibility for the OPW, that the PAC was being "unfair" by focusing on one aspect of the its business, Mr Noonan said: "The Parlon defence that because we don’t lose money every week aren’t we great fellows doesn’t work. That isn’t the kind of defence I’d like to go to the High Court on."

The vice-chairman of the PAC, Mr John McGuinness, said if the OPW were a private company it would be closed down.

"The OPW needs to be dragged into the modern world of property management," he said.

The report also criticised the OPW for going €23 million over budget on the refurbishment of the new Cork courthouse. It says it failed to take costs for temporary court accommodation into account and said there was a serious loss of taxpayers’ money in the negotiation of the lease at three times the original rent
JPD

Postby Leesider » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:56 pm

was on Washington St 2 weeks ago and was very disappointed to see weeds already being allowed grow on the steps of the refurbished courthouse!! must admit it does look good, but Washington St is still one of my least favourite streets in the city for one that has so much potential!
Leesider

Postby sw101 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:10 pm

lunched in wagamama (cork) today. food is just as good as dublin, but the atmosphere isn't the same as the great space under the stephen's green s.c. pretty building in the flesh from the outside.
sw101

Postby rodger » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:54 pm

sw101 wrote:lunched in wagamama (cork) today. food is just as good as dublin, but the atmosphere isn't the same as the great space under the stephen's green s.c. pretty building in the flesh from the outside.

Yes architecture is by those oh so talented gentlemen of Kiosk other works incl.Dennhys cross,Ballincollig TC,
Ladies Well,to mention a few.

I was walking on the Lower Road and once again noticed the almost in ruins building at the end of MyrtleHill Tce,Its mid way between Water St.and the scew bridge.Does any one have any details on this house its a gem!
rodger

Postby iloveCORK2 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:39 am

Read in the echo on Saturday... bout the blueprint for the city worth €1billion---total rubbish... and the way the reporter wrote about the multi storey buildings, that they could be as high as seven stories... i mean, that's nothing... for the price developers are paying for the land they would want to be at least 7 stories in height... with a maximum height of I dunno... say maybe water st and eglington st... open to speculation and criticism.. but land in the city is so expensive that for developers to recoup the money spent on the land they need massive multi storey buildings.. obviously aslong as it complements the area and all that...

But as I said my comment is open to criticism.

Lexington... any news bout da deloittle building and its extension??
going2dub next mon,flying up so i'll try2get pictures of da airport... if i remember my camera...
iloveCORK2

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:19 am

Shrinktocork - maybe if you post in a dedicated thread you might get some help. If you don't you'll probably get lost in the crowd in here :)

The essential piece of advice that owners of listed properties are given is that for any intended structural changes, no matter how minor, seek the counsel of the local authority/conservation officer before doing anything.
Even if a change you make does not require planning permission, just check first regardless!
In most cases reasonable alterations will be allowed, as long as they don't affect the integrity of the building - most of which are pretty obvious as to their impact.
GrahamH
Old Master

North Docklands Area Development Plan Briefs

Postby lexington » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:55 am

As promised, here's just a brief insight into the recent CCC North Docklands Area Plan (June 2005). The plan encompasses an area spanning from Brian Boru Street in the west to CastleView Terrace in the east, near Water Street. The plan highlights a number of prime sites within this area which are earmarked for substantial development as part of the area regeneration plan. These sites are indicated in the image posted below (click on thumbnail to enlarge).

As it stands, a number of these sites are already the subject of, have completed or are about to be submitted for planning. Site 1 = Paul Kenny's The Treasury office development destined for Revenue Commissioner tenancy (however, Donal F. O'Donovan's DL Safety site is still up for a potential development of its own). Sites 4 + 5 are to be subject to applications by CIE and Manor Park Homes as part of a total 525m euro redevelopment, encompassing a new train station arrangement, residential, commercial etc etc elements (this application is now expected to be a little later than scheduled consequent of recent talks between MPH and CCC; the project will be conducted in 3 Phases with completion mooted for 2010). Site 6 = Werdna Ltd's plans for Water Street. These plans are currently in appeal following a decision by CCC which effectively obliterated the scheme (interestingly, the NDAP notes that construction on this development is slated for 2006. The problem is, if Werdna do not receive a grant on the development, the developers may threaten to walk away on this site. Such a move would delay the perceived timeframe and development plan as a whole - it continues to be seen that the decision by Navigation House was a poor one, contrary to the insistence of planners). One of the problems with the plan is that it fails to account for a number of variables such as this scenario.

From a traffic management point of view, a number of proposals are cited. These include the provision of new infastructural utilities such as the link road east-to-west on Horgan's Quay lands, the Water Street Bridge (a concept of which may be seen below next to the traffic management map image; the Water Street Bridge is set to be installed by 2010, with a feasibility and conceptualisation study to be completed by the end of this month) and Harley Street Pedestrian Bridge. Some existing routes will be improved and in some cases reconfigured to cater for 2-way traffic systems. This quick fix logic is not always the correct solution - one can simply note the disastrous example recently on Lancaster Quay. It makes no sense to cater to increased inputs of traffic flowing into the city versus the healthier system that was in place which quite adequately dispersed and filtered traffic away from the centre (I believe business owners and concerned individuals met at a meeting in Sugar Cafe along Washington Street this evening to discuss the woeful new system).

Image Image

One element of the NADP I agree with, and admittedly did not see prior to this recent publication, was the mentioned that City Quarter on Lapps Quay should be seen as the minimum in development quality that can be expected from future docklands developments in the area. Better better and better should be what we strive for thereafter. City Quarter may be seen as the benchmark.

Talk of City Manager Joe Gavin's wishes to see an Event Centre at Horgan's Quay would seem to be established within the Plan - his discussions with MPH seem positive, however, I'm not so sure the realisation of their ideas on an event centre would be in the strategic interests of the city as they seem, so far, limited given alternative options. Though building heights are stated as averaging 7-storeys as a rule, the Plan says it will cater for landmark, architecturally superior towers in appropriate settings - and as Jim O'Donovan once said, 'height does not necessarily mean landmark'. It would seem, as part of discussions on an event centre, MPH will be shown a degree of leniancy regarding their building heights so long as they serve a strong architectural standard. However, I note many of the examples documented within the plan as being 'landmark' are FAR from what I would regard as being acceptable in standard. They seem, quite often, bog basic.

Of the sites marked, but without any clear development plans in the immediate - the Alfred/Railway Street lands (many of which are set to be available over the coming months), I would seem as becoming ideal sites for development as they set to be the intrinsic link between the city centre and the new quarter at Horgan's Quay/Water Street. Building heights can be expected to start at the 4 to 5 storey marker set by Unity House, the Siemens Building and The Treasury - but peak no higher than the generalised 7-storey rule. Expect high interest in these potential sites over the coming future.

I'll have more tid-bits on the NDAP in the future.
lexington
Old Master

Postby bunch » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:37 am

lexington - just on traffic management and the north docks local area plan - the provision of a new east west link behind horgan's quay presents a good opportunity to correct the disaster that is the one-way system in that part of the city - lower glanmire road has suffered since its introduction and has effectively died a slow death due to one way routing - you mention - "the healthier system that was in place which quite adequately dispersed and filtered traffic away from the centre" - but the aim of traffic management in an urban context should not be based on the need to move/encourage as many vehicles as quickly as possible out of , and into the city at the expense of existing streets and businesses, pedestrians and the wider urban environment? surely, any opportunity the city has to re-introduce 2 way routing should be taken - cork's 1 way system is the most unfortunate outcome of LUTS and has destroyed many parts of the city -
bunch

Postby lexington » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:59 am

bunch wrote:lexington - just on traffic management and the north docks local area plan - the provision of a new east west link behind horgan's quay presents a good opportunity to correct the disaster that is the one-way system in that part of the city - lower glanmire road has suffered since its introduction and has effectively died a slow death due to one way routing - you mention - "the healthier system that was in place which quite adequately dispersed and filtered traffic away from the centre" - but the aim of traffic management in an urban context should not be based on the need to move/encourage as many vehicles as quickly as possible out of , and into the city at the expense of existing streets and businesses, pedestrians and the wider urban environment? surely, any opportunity the city has to re-introduce 2 way routing should be taken - cork's 1 way system is the most unfortunate outcome of LUTS and has destroyed many parts of the city -

I think the business owners, commuters and residents of Lancaster Quay would argue to the contrary. The recent 2-way system in this area has had a clear and dramatic impact on traffic congestion and according to traders in the area, business. I suppose what I was saying above is that 2-way/1-way systems in an area are not always the solution (i.e. "quick fix") - each area should be evaluated on an individual basis and all management issues should be addressed before an implementation. It would seem the Lancaster Quay issue did not consider the full impact of the system's introduction. I can't see how the system has benefited any of the elements you have stated (pedestrians, businesses and the wider urban environment) - it seems have been quite adverse and that is why such a fuss has been kicked-up. I don't recall the same level of upset created when Merchant's Quay was reverted to 2-way.

I believe some of our fellow posters have an insight into the meeting held last night at Sugar Cafe regarding the topic at hand - it would be interesting to see how their persepctive of the situation has been determined. It would also be interesting to hear from any traders, residents or others with affliations to this area.
lexington
Old Master

*updates*

Postby lexington » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:59 pm

:cool: Fleming Construction have submitted Further Information on their plans to develop a 60-berth marina on their lands at Fota House, Fota Island. The marina will form part of a larger leisure/tourism and residential development.

- also, Fleming Construction have been cleared to develop a mix of 237 residential dwellings at Knockgriffin in Midelton.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:cool: Meanwhile O'Brien & O'Flynn Ltd have attained a grant to develop a further 60 units (28 apartments, 28 duplexes and 4 townhouses) at their development in Moneygurney, Douglas. Kieran Barry & Associates handled the design/application.

Rumours abound that O'Brien & O'Flynn may be seeking to delve into a substantial city centre (perhaps docklands? ;) ) development in the future - which may encompass a number of commercial elements beyond their traditional main-stay of residential development (which will likely form the central element of any such development). O'Brien & O'Flynn are among Cork's most successful residential developers.
lexington
Old Master

Postby theblimp » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:06 pm

Super news about the proposed Marina complex at Fota - I know from previous experience that it's almost impossible to get a berth for a boat in Cork Harbour.

With one of the finest 'Bay' areas in the world we really should have a first-rate leisure infrastructure in place already. Hopefully this Fota project, the plan for Cobh and future docklands development will address this deficit
theblimp

Re: *updates*

Postby yorktown » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:59 pm

[quote="lexington"]:cool: Fleming Construction have submitted Further Information on their plans to develop a 60-berth marina on their lands at Fota House, Fota Island. The marina will form part of a larger leisure/tourism and residential development.

- also, Fleming Construction have been cleared to develop a mix of 237 residential dwellings at Knockgriffin in Midelton.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:cool: Meanwhile O'Brien & O'Flynn Ltd have attained a grant to develop a further 60 units (28 apartments, 28 duplexes and 4 townhouses) at their development in Moneygurney, Douglas. Kieran Barry & Associates handled the design/application.

Rumours abound that O'Brien & O'Flynn may be seeking to delve into a substantial city centre (perhaps docklands? ]

You're not talking about Waterford are you?
yorktown

Postby snoopdog » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:03 am

Freddie wrote:Hope Mark Kelleher has more luck with his planning application at "Caterham"
than he did at "Westend" see TP 05/29464.
CAHRA should not have a problem with this application (2 storeys), but with
that crowd you would never know?
However the "blue rinse" brigade will proberly be lamenting the loss of
another quality house in their beloved Bishopstown, sad,sad,sad.
Maybe it is time to take the advice of another contributor to this website
and take the pensions off the OAPs that stand in the way of progress.

Sorry, but where's "Caterham"? :confused:

I can tell you that no one will be "lamenting" anything but with the way you are referring to the residents is it any wonder why they get angry? Also its not only OAP who are angry at all the development in the area. I've teenagers getting annoyed at it. But you have to admit that, for people who have lived in this area for so many years without much change, its understandable they find all the apartments springing up so fast more than a bit hard to take.Especially when there were virtually, if any, there three years ago or less.
snoopdog

Postby lexington » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:24 am

yorktown wrote:You're not talking about Waterford are you?

No, the Waterford City Port sites were indeed purchased by O'Brien & O'Flynn Ltd for 30m euros earlier this year - my understanding is that they have been assessing possibilities of a Cork development - the details of which I remain unaware of myself, but the word has come from 2 sources, 1 who works regularly with OBOF and another from an outside developer. It would make sense for such a prominent Cork firm to take such a step - it may even be a consolation for their failed efforts to develop the 15-storey SilverSprings Tower, designed by Dennehy & Dennehy (which personally, I felt was a high-quality design). OBOF may wish to take advantage of new moves in the docklands. I stated that this was a rumour, as I have not heard anything concrete - but if I do you'll surely hear about it. :o

I think OBOF have major scope to develop a landmark docklands development (my own opinion), it would be interesting to see if they do. They seem to have a lot of potential and a solid foundation which could allow them do so comfortably. I look forward to see if the rumours generate any more solid info.

snoopdog wrote:I can tell you that no one will be "lamenting" anything but with the way you are referring to the residents is it any wonder why they get angry? Also its not only OAP who are angry at all the development in the area. I've teenagers getting annoyed at it. But you have to admit that, for people who have lived in this area for so many years without much change, its understandable they find all the apartments springing up so fast more than a bit hard to take. Especially when there were virtually, if any, there three years ago or less.

I think much of what you say is understandable snoopdog. It is good that you mention it. I suppose, where frustration arises from the development end of the spectrum (in some part), is quite often the blind stances taken by some of the residents (of all ages). When it comes to development, I don't ever have a problem with residents making submissions - as long as they're valid, and what I mean by that is, that the submissions have been made after proper consultation with an application, and realistic context is considered. What CSD have displayed thus far has been far from this balance. I worry that their mentalities will adversely affect the proper and suatainable development of the area (Bishopstown) and Cork should it catch on sufficiently - it is a blind and dangerous line to thread, one which seems very much based on 'scaremongering' rather than balanced discussion and analysis. Where a resident notes a relevant problem arising from a development - e.g. a balcony hanging over a resident's backyard - such issues most be addressed. A developer has many means to adjust such issues - i.e. revised application, unsolicited further info, additional applications/amendments etc. I don't think any reasonable developer has a problem making such changes - it's outright refusals based on fecious grounds that crank up the difficulties, many of which can be avoided through proper self-education regarding the prospective development. I believe it is the responsibility of residents to properly inform themselves of any proposal - and the responsibility of the developer to provide sufficient, accurate and balanced information ('balanced' :rolleyes: - in an ideal world!) - a good development should stand on its own 2 feet. :)
lexington
Old Master

Postby kite » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:18 am

Will the bridges proposed for the north docks development plan limit the size of the ships currently able to dock in the city docks on custom house ect.?

A source in ‘The Paper’ tells me that there are serious rumblings within City Hall regarding the recent sale of the Albert Quay House site to Howard Webworks. “heads may roll’,she tells me???
kite

Brian Boru Street development potential

Postby lexington » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:05 pm

:o News that Donal F. O'Donovan's DL Safety/DFOD Consultants are to vacate its Clyde House premises at the corner of Brian Boru Street and the Lower Glanmire Road - paves the way for a possible landmark corner redevelopment opportunity. Mr. O'Donovan is seeking to relocate his businesses to new offices at the Shipton Group's Blackpool Retail Park Office Campus. Clyde House adjoins other small premises such as the Irish Girl Guides building to the east and is located on the western side of the former Clontarf Street rail corridor. Across the corridor, Paul Kenny is in planning (currently in Further Information) to develop The Treasury office development for the Revenue Commissioners. The Clyde House premises comes under the recently published North Area Docklands Development Plan and may offer a prime development space for a small but striking office/retail development facing down MacCurtain Street - availing of a unique, prominent location. Here now exists an opportunity to offer a striking architectural landmark. But who may take up the challenge? Mr. O'Donovan himself? Or would Mr. Kenny even be interested in soaking up the excess land to add to his Treasury development at some future stage?

*UPDATES*

:) Good to see Howard Holdings have been granted permission by Kinsale Town Council to develop their revised hotel plans for Long and Emmet Quays. The revised plan includes a 101-bedroom hotel, with suites, basement public car-park, retail units and boardwalk. However among those behind the 54 objections lodged against the plans, some are now seeking an appeal.

:cool: Cumnor Construction are to seek the development of 308 housing units in Fermoy.

:o Meanwhile Charles & Helen McCarthy's plans for a hotel on their Crosses Green 'Mill Business Centre' site. designed by Derek Tynan, has been brought to appeal by Mary Doran - among the original objectors. CCC had granted permission to the boxy hotel following resubmitted plans by the developers which reduced the hotel from 7 to 5-storeys (4 over-ground).

kite wrote:A source in ‘The Paper’ tells me that there are serious rumblings within City Hall regarding the recent sale of the Albert Quay House site to Howard Webworks. “heads may roll’,she tells me???

I think CCC got a good deal - when you consider the knock-on economic and logistical importance of the project. I don't think they have to answer to anyone on that particular deal. The WebWorks stands to create 300 jobs, encourage new Cork-based enterprise and may the city a more attractive starting point for new business and technologies groups and investments.
lexington
Old Master

North Docks Local Area Plan

Postby Freddie » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:35 pm

I have just had the unbridled pleasure of perusing Cork City Council's Draft North Docks Local Area Plan - June 2005
As a datum point I referred to a letter on the corksouthwest.com website entitled 'A Tale of Two Cities' and find one can only agree with the last sentence.
Which puts me in mind that the more things 'change' the more they remain the same.
Congratulations lads ye have us all fooled.
Freddie

Re: North Docks Local Area Plan

Postby ewankennedy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:59 pm

Freddie wrote:I have just had the unbridled pleasure of perusing Cork City Council's Draft North Docks Local Area Plan - June 2005
As a datum point I referred to a letter on the corksouthwest.com website entitled 'A Tale of Two Cities' and find one can only agree with the last sentence.
Which puts me in mind that the more things 'change' the more they remain the same.
Congratulations lads ye have us all fooled.

Freddie what area you involved/interested in? Developer, architect, engineer? You dont seem to like the council much. :p
ewankennedy

Postby Radioactiveman » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, it would seem that Cok City Council does not have the balls to prosecute anybody for the criminal act of demolishing an historic church associated with famous temperance campaigner Fr Mathew. The church located at Blackmore Lane (off Sullivans Quay) was approximately 200 years old.
The demolition took place for "safety reasons" after the applicant was told by CCC to incorporate the Church into his Section 50 Apartment Complex at the site.
An application is now lodged to demolish what remains of the church and rebuild with modern materials!!
Shame on CCC and shame on T & C Partnership.
Radioactiveman

Postby lexington » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:19 am

*UPDATES*

:) Fleming Construction have finally erected a tower crane over their student accommodation development at Victoria Cross, designed by Bertie Pope & Associates, being developed on behalf of UCC. 45 student apartments over 5 blocks will be constructed, between 4 and 5 storeys each. Next door, Ridge Developments are ploughing away on Phase 2 of Victoria Mills. A tower crane is expected to be erected there within the next month.

Radioactiveman wrote:Unfortunately, it would seem that Cok City Council does not have the balls to prosecute anybody for the criminal act of demolishing an historic church associated with famous temperance campaigner Fr Mathew. The church located at Blackmore Lane (off Sullivans Quay) was approximately 200 years old.
The demolition took place for "safety reasons" after the applicant was told by CCC to incorporate the Church into his Section 50 Apartment Complex at the site.
An application is now lodged to demolish what remains of the church and rebuild with modern materials!!
Shame on CCC and shame on T & C Partnership.

I 100% agree that T&C should face some form of penalisation for what is an act of blatant disregard for the law and the historical integrity of the area. The demolished structure is in fact, contrary to many reports, not a listed structure, however - was an interesting historical specimen - among the areas oldest. I am disappointed by the lack of action initiated - however, I was also very disappointed with the write up in the IE. :mad:

If persons start taking legislative policies and interpreting them their own way, it makes a mockery of such a system. Although I do not agree with the system quite often, we must respect the policies in place until such a time we can amend them to be more efficient. The lack of action sends a negative message across the city.
lexington
Old Master

Postby daniel_7 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:26 pm

Does anyone think that if an event centre is to be built it should be based along the lines of the odessy arena in Belfast as a multi purpose centre for sports and entertainment as this would be an ideal and exciting centre point to the commercial aspect of the north docklands(if this is where it will be built). This would also be a far bigger benifit to the city than the bland centre being propsed?I also think building a 5000 seater is unambitious and embarrissing for the countrys second city as there is plans for an 8000 seater in Athlone? :confused:
daniel_7

Postby mickeydocs » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:46 pm

Isn't the Neptune Stadium already such a stadium?
mickeydocs

Postby daniel_7 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:29 pm

Neptune stadium was a great addition to the city when built and still is great for the city for certain things but I can not see how you are compering it to the odessy arena as there is a vast differance in capacity and anyway is a much more modern and up to date facility! I also came about the idea as there was going concern about the viability of the centre being built in cork and the odessy also was built as an entertainment centre with bars,hard rock cafe etc which could also be brought into such a centre for cork to bring in more people and money to the centre? And basically I think such a centre would be much more attractive and worth while for the city, this also comes back to the point of the cc not being ambitious enough in the new developments in the city(high rise). I would also like to say while im on that Cork needs to address its retail problem sooner rather than later as I was in limerick recently and it just came across me that it is better served by the bigger names moving in such as eddie rockets,pizza hut(i know mp has both of these) but they are only food court outlets and my examples but i am really refering to the city centre anyway!Also footlocker has just expanded with a number of outlets in Ireland but none in Cork again!Also Dixons,pc world,currys just popped into my head!
daniel_7

Postby domosullivan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:44 pm

daniel_7 wrote:Neptune stadium was a great addition to the city when built and still is great for the city for certain things but I can not see how you are compering it to the odessy arena as there is a vast differance in capacity and anyway is a much more modern and up to date facility! I also came about the idea as there was going concern about the viability of the centre being built in cork and the odessy also was built as an entertainment centre with bars,hard rock cafe etc which could also be brought into such a centre for cork to bring in more people and money to the centre? And basically I think such a centre would be much more attractive and worth while for the city, this also comes back to the point of the cc not being ambitious enough in the new developments in the city(high rise). I would also like to say while im on that Cork needs to address its retail problem sooner rather than later as I was in limerick recently and it just came across me that it is better served by the bigger names moving in such as eddie rockets,pizza hut(i know mp has both of these) but they are only food court outlets and my examples but i am really refering to the city centre anyway!Also footlocker has just expanded with a number of outlets in Ireland but none in Cork again!Also Dixons,pc world,currys just popped into my head!

re: footlocker - What is wrong with Cummins Sports and Finns Corner?
re: Dixons - Soundstore and Flor Griffin?

You may have a point but in terms of retail I am not sure I want Cork to become another Leicester/Derby/Belfast/etc. I live in the UK and find the average regional high street to be extremely boring. I love coming home to Cork and see some "retail independence" ,
domosullivan

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland