U2 studio entries

Postby b.ray » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:22 am

this (see below) was posted on archinect - anyone out there got any clues? seems like a good cause.

what was the nature of their disqualification?

Regarding hopeless in Dublin.
Original U2 Tower winner Disqualified!
If you care.
AND IF ANYONE ELSE DOES
Then please email these people and voice your concerns/opinions/requests for information.
This is a big cover up (within) the architectural community, and the city of Dublin, but ultimately means that U2 will not get the building or Studios that were the first choice of the Jury (including adam clayton) and that the real winner may never be identified.
The Dublin Docklands Development Authority DDDA Who organised and ran the competition (general information)
info@dublindocklands.ie
The DDDA’s appointed Press Agents (White(man?) Associates)
paul@whitepr.net PAUL WHITE
The DDDA’s Lawyers (who advised the jury on this matter) A&L Goodbody
law@algoodbody.ie
The Jury Themeselves.
F.A.O Dr Arthur Gibney (Chairman of the jury)
C/o murphy.p@royalhibernianacademy.com
F.A.O Jim Barrett (Dublin City Architect)
C/o press@dublincorp.ie
PETER COYNE (The Chairman/Chief Executive of the DDDA)
pcoyne@dublindocklands.ie
F.A.O Donall Curtin (Jury Member)
donall@bck.ie
F.A.O Adam Clayton (Jury member)
C/o U2/Principle Management propaganda@numb.ie
F.A.O Joan O’connor (Jury Member) Interactive Project Management Ltd
C/o info@dublindocklands.ie
F.A.O Terry Durney (Jury Member) DDDA
C/o info@dublindocklands.ie
The Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland
info@riai.ie
Irish Architecture
info@archeire.com
cut and paste into email message.
To
info@dublindocklands.ie, pcoyne@dublindocklands.ie, esmyth@dublindocklands.ie, paul@whitepr.net, law@algoodbody.ie, murphy.p@royalhibernianacademy.com, press@dublincorp.ie, donall@bck.ie, propaganda@numb.ie, info@dublindocklands.ie, info@dublindocklands.ie, info@riai.ie, info@archeire.com
Subject: U2 Tower Dublin Docklands Competition Real Winner.
Message Contents:
I/We demand a fully and published public enquiry into the organisation and running of the Dublin Docklands Development Association competition for a Landmark Tower and U2 studio.
Specific attention should be paid to identifying and revealing the identity of the Original Winner as selected by the Jury. We demand that this entry be published on the DDDA website, and receives the same press attention as the Subsequent Winner (Burdon Dunne/Craig Henry Scheme).And insist that the original winner is included in the Public Exhibition planned to be held in Dublin in Spetember/October 2003.
Signed.
(your name)
Thank you for your help in this.
Please forward this to anyone you feel might be interested, whether they are involved in Architecture or Design, are a Resident of Dublin, Have or will visit Dublin in the Future, Or are simply a U2 fan.
b.ray

Postby shadow » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:00 am

Maybe this is too simple:

How was an entry, which was in technical breach of the competition regulations, presented to the jury for evaluation? This is one of the most fundamental aspects of competitions. The DDDA went to great effort to ensure that material not requested (images etc.. ) would not be shown to the jury. Yet on this fundamental level, if this is true, it seems an entry that did not comply to other regulations got through. I think that the rules (all rules) should be applied evenly. If however, the entry was technically complete (A4 report, fee etc..) subject to proof, then the whole competition should be suspended and re-run. However due to the sheer number of images published this is now impossible.

What a pickle?????
shadow

Postby DogsonFire-2 » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:54 am

Surely this is the type of issue members pay the Royal Institute of Architects to sort out? It's in their interests to ensure professional protocol is maintained and its members represented. Ok, that the academic line and perhaps a little naive to expect but what then are we all doing here? I agree that to lobby all relevant parties is a good one.....perhaps this notice and text ( aka quoted by b.ray) should be published more widely to allow ALL interested parties to participate.
DogsonFire-2

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:59 am

send this out this morning to the 28,000 subscribers of the architectural competitions list - i have also send it to other architecture competition listings sites worldwide....

Did you enter the U2 Landmark Tower competition for Dublin, Ireland?
Then Irish-architecture.com wants to hear from you.

Why?
Read the following news clippings:

Revealed: winner that lost U2 tower prize
The Sunday Times
A mystery architectural firm was the original winner of the prestigious contest to design a studio for U2 in Dublin’s docklands. The design, a rectangular building from which emerges an elegant tower, was the first choice of the seven-man jury that included Adam Clayton, the rock band’s bass player. The contest was jointly sponsored by the Dublin Docklands Development Authority and U2. However the jurors were forced to abandon their initial choice because they could not identify its author.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-824761,00.html

With or without you
The Sunday Times
The competition for the U2 tower in Dublin’s docklands turned into the most lurid farce in Irish architecture for 50 years. It was simple and distinctive, a rectangular building with an elegant tower emerging from it. The design, the understanding of the site's topography and the materials chosen indicated an intimate knowledge of Dublin on the part of its anonymous architect. It was, decided the jury of seven, the winner of the international competition for a landmark tower and studio for U2 in Dublin's docklands.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2101-821354,00.html

Did U2 really get the tower it was looking for?
The Irish Times
Apart from The Spire, no major project in Dublin has generated as much heated debate in architectural circles as the U2 tower for Dublin's docklands. Few would disagree that the "twisting tower" which won the architectural competition for a landmark building in Dublin docklands has a dynamic quality. What's at issue is whether it really was head and shoulders above more than 500 other entries from around the world. The fact that it was co-designed by Felim Dunne, a brother-in-law of U2's Paul McGuinness, raised eyebrows - and some hackles

It is likely that a substantial chunk of the €500,000-plus in entry fees raised by this competition went to PriceWaterhouseCoopers, who were called in to carry out a "due diligence" exercise after some of the leading contenders could not be identified, including - incredibly - the one that the jury had picked as the winner.

As part of this exercise, all of the entrants were requested to submit digital versions of their schemes, to aid efforts to match drawings with names in the mountain of material that the competition generated. But even this stratagem did not resolve the issue because no entry form could be found for the one chosen by the jury.

To this day, nobody can say for certain who the original winner was - so some architect, somewhere in the world, has missed out on a prestige commission due to incompetence on the part of the organisers. And Dublin will never know what might have been erected at the end of Sir John Rogerson's Quay.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/property/2003/0904/2141241465RPU2TOWER.html

Specifically we want to hear from you if:

- You were not contacted by the organisers for exhibition
- You were never contacted by PriceWaterhouseCoopers the auditors of the competition
- You were contacted by PriceWaterhouseCoopers and didn't respond to their queries.

We are also interested in exhibiting ALL entries at http://www.archeire.com/unbuilt_ireland/dublin/u2_tower/index.html

You can contact Irish-architecture.com by email at info@archeire.com
Send us entry illustrations (JPG) and the supporting text (Word Doc)
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:29 am

Maybe you should Greg Pallast in to sort this one out!
d_d_dallas

Postby b.ray » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:26 pm

paul is the man, thanks and stay on them.
anyone seen the exhibit yet?
b.ray

Postby ro_G » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:43 pm

Originally posted by Paul Clerkin
really dunno what to make of this... as a hoaxer I get very paranoid about stuff like this, thinking that people are maybe getting back at me...

this seems authentic enough to me

That Frank McDonald eh? what a prankster.
ro_G

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:43 pm

Just added another 5 entries to the selection... more to come....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Dublin Rose » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:33 pm

Some interesting entries overall -- most of which seem more interesting than the winner.

http://www.irish-architecture.com/unbuilt_ireland/dublin/u2_tower/nmn/index.html
Is more Gotham than Dublin.
Dublin Rose

Postby Mob79 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:09 pm

After checking only a third of the entries i cant believe they picked a twisting liberty hall!
Mob79

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:58 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby MOL » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:22 pm

We received the competition shortlist via internet today!

Regarding how the competition has been organised until now, we were in fact quite surprised to see any information at all.

However, on closer examination a curious fact comes to light! From the 60 or so architects who submitted their work to the Archeire site, only 8 have been chosen for the exhibition to take place in Dublin this month and just for information almost all come from the anglo-world.

Funny little fact wouldn't you agree!!

Another point which I would like to mention again in connection to the Shortlist is the amazing reoccurrance of certain offices again and again. I think I saw one office with 4 entries !

If competitions are to be run fairly then to allow an office, usually one with substancial monetary clout who can afford to pay the entrance fee a number of times ( win or lose )
is really contrary to fair play !

A a middle-large office we take part regularly in international competitions and until now have never experienced that an office send more than one entry. It is simply not allowed.

At the Dublin Tower Competition because absolutely nothing except it seems the acceptance of the entry fee, was professionally organised, an office could have theoretically entered a thousand times! What an absurd fact ! Imagine even further that an office manages to win all the prizes available !
A suffocatingly embarrassing situation !

Actually it is quite beyond my comprehension to imagine how an architect can submit more than one design for any competition. Surely he tries to submit the concept/idea that he believes to be the most suited to that particular brief. Is then his second or third entry his second or third best idea? If so then why does he bother to hand in the second or third at all. I mean if an architect has a style or design philosophy then surely if the jury does not like his first entry then how can he hope that they will suddenly elevate his fifth choice entry to the winning position ?

Obviously some architects did, without a thought or notion as to what such a behaviour communicates, both professionally and to a wider audience.
MOL

Postby b.ray » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:45 pm

please share the list wit us if you can mol
many thanks
b.ray

Postby DogsonFire-2 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:06 am

The List .................oh the List........well if it exists then let's see it...............air brush marks and all! Is it possible?
DogsonFire-2

Postby DogsonFire-2 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:12 am

...........and yes-Paul Clerkin is right....the DDDA have that air of superiority which often surrounds such establishments as it is this air which they consider the bedrock of the establishment. What a shame and disappointing really that such attitudes still exist. There was always something which my mother used to say.......... something about virtue..........not here I fear!
DogsonFire-2

Postby shadow » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:26 am

The short list is a bit mysterious since it does not appear on the DDDA web site. What is the progeny of the list? And yes, post it.....
shadow

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:35 pm

I have received illustrations which I believe to be the original design that they selected - I have contacted the jury for comments (early this morning) - no denials or comments forthcoming....

watch this space

and btw if you haven't visited the online expo recently, we now have over seventy concepts on display... still more to come..
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby shadow » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:59 am

Exhibition of U2 Entries
9-19 October 2003
Excise Walk North Wall Quay IFSC
Mon-Sat 11.00-5.00
Sun 12.00 -5.00
shadow

Exhibition

Postby pepe » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:11 am

Ok.
so is it public or is it invite only.
Are all entrants invited.
are they going to reveal the "mystery winner"?
If they dont comment, are people prepared to protest.
There was an article in bd yesterday by charlie gates.

dont think its online.

but email cgates@cmpinformation if you want a copy of it/dont get the magazine in ireland?
pepe

SHADOW

Postby pepe » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:46 am

where did you get this information?

i cant find anything on the DDDA website??

have you been invited?
pepe

Postby shadow » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:36 pm

Received a picture post card with details of the exhibit on the back in the post today
shadow

shadow

Postby pepe » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:02 pm

Shadow

Were you an entrant?
Is there a private view/opening party?
pepe

Postby shadow » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:05 pm

No information about an opening party or launch indicated in the envelope or on the card. Yes I was an entrant in the competition.
shadow

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:06 pm

Somehow I'm fairly certain I won't get invited to taste the DDDA's wine selection ;)
Great that the exhibition is finally happening though.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby emf » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:50 pm

Paul maybe an official invitee could get you in as their partner???
emf

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland