U2 studio entries

Postby MG » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:10 pm

So what is the current status? Have the Irish Times retracted their statement or are they standing by it?
MG

Postby colinsky » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:47 am

The Sunday Times has entered the mix...

A MYSTERY architectural firm was the original winner of the prestigious contest to design a studio for U2 in Dublin’s docklands.
The design, a rectangular building from which emerges an elegant tower, was the first choice of the seven-man jury that included Adam Clayton, the rock band’s bass player. The contest was jointly sponsored by the Dublin Docklands Development Authority and U2.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-824761,00.html
colinsky

Postby trace » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:18 pm

According to The Sunday Times: "Sources close to the authority confirmed that an early design had been selected but was disqualified because it was invalid." So much for the Jesuitical DDDA denial to Paul's enquiry!

For additional details, see With or without you - The competition for the U2 tower in Dublin’s docklands turned into the most lurid farce in Irish architecture for 50 years, writes Shane O'Toole: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2101-821354,00.html
trace

Postby notjim » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:35 pm

this article also mentioned that the ddda had parted company with benson and forsythe, that's disappointing, i hadn't heard and was assuming that this building was going ahead. do they have a replacement design?
notjim

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:16 am

Bearing in mind how many international entries there were, and no doubt they havent read this info, I think I'm going to synopsis the articles and post them to the competitions list I maintain.... only 28,000 subscribers :)

I think foreign architects who entered need to know....

Also going to email the DDDA for another statement - insert very evil grin here
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby b.ray » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:26 pm

can someone hook me up with the articles.....I can't get them from here without a monthly fee. And seeing as I already paid cash to the ddda, I don't feel like wasting anymore money on this debacle.

many thanks
b.ray

Postby DogsonFire-2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:32 pm

In reading the summary of the statement from DDDA by Paul Clerkin; such suggestions that the poor lambs who "won" the competition will be "damaged" and the sticks are pointing towards their voodoo doll is a poor attempt to defuse the situation and distract the attention away from the responsibility of the DDDA. IF the DDDA really want to become the innocent party then they must present a FULL disclosure of A: how the jury acted ( in the form of a formal Jury Report/diary signed by all members of the Jury) B: a clear unambiguous explanation of why Price Waterhouse were involved unannounced and late and C: last but not least a complete list of entries, the short-listed projects and a catalogue of the exhibition. Whilst this would not necessarily vindicate the outcome it would at least provide the sceptics that there had been fair play (and on a legal level!)
DogsonFire-2

Postby b.ray » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:05 pm

I just read the article on U2's site - LOL!!
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3153

so can anyone get their hands on the image of the true winner? Love to see what they really wanted to build.

poor sap forgot to enter, enclose all the required A4 entry information, and pay his entrance fee.... but somehow produced the winning entry, packaged it up and sent it in on time to be judged!!!!
very cinderella - glass slipper anyone?

this is getting really good! keep it coming.

question is will they (ddda) have the guts to show it at the
exhibition (or has it reverted back to a pumpkin) - we haven't heard much about that event recently, have we.
b.ray

Postby what? » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:49 am

anyone know when or where this exhibition is to be held?
what?

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:57 am

Between 1.15 and 1.17pm on 23rd October in a secret location by invite only ;)

Somehow I don't think that any of us will get invites ;)
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GregF » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:26 pm

Ah fuck the cu*ts .....sure I bet the final yoke aka building will fall way short of what was proposed. I hope I am wrong for the sake of Dublin and the docks.
GregF
Old Master

Postby emf » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:52 pm

At least the whole business has drummed up a bit of interest!!!,
??Who is the real mystery winner??,
We'll probably still be discussing it in 30 years time.
We'll gaze on the twisted tower, just like we do on Liberty Hall now, lamenting what was lost!!! Sigh!!
emf

Postby b.ray » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:45 pm

just thought it might disappear - maybe that's a good thing?
b.ray

Postby DogsonFire-2 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:06 am

Emporers new clothes with a twist! with DDDA as the court jester! It's incredible that the RIAI haven't made some noises on this issue. Come on chaps , I'm sure your members pay you well to represent issues, yes/no? As to the the DDDA, what a display of arrogance and disgrace. I suppose the jury is sworn to secrecy, but I suspect feel a little guilty ..well they should do!.a shame of an affair and one not good for the profession or the competition as a vehicle for appointing an architect.
DogsonFire-2

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:05 am

Overnight I received a lengthy email from an anonymous source who thinks that they may be the original winner. They had not been contacted by PriceWaterHouseCooper and in some way are in a position to check via an intermediary if the original entry was theirs...

watch this space.....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:00 pm

Oh wow - this is taking on Watergate proportions.
Rory W
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:06 pm

overnight eh? smacks of being a foreignist. anybody placing bets? where's paddy power?
sw101

Postby el architino » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:39 pm

EL ARCHITINO's press office has relesed the following statement:

EL ARCHITINO is 84% sure that his was the original winner. the unquestionable beauty of a 600m solid platinum statue of EL ARCHITINO containing no programme and held up using pile foundations (each cut from a 200,000carat rose diomand) is sure to have moved the judges as much as it did EL ARCHITINO.

not forgetting U2 and the little people EL ARCHITINO's design response to these issues was to put the recording studio below ground and create a viewing platform for the people at the feet of the statue. binoculars would be provided so that EL ARCHITINO's grace and might may be observed.

the attatched render shows it in context:

EL ARCHITINO's press office would also like to note that the fact that no one has yet discovered a 200000carat rose diomand shows that like leonardo, he is ahead of his time.
Attachments
untitled-1.jpg
untitled-1.jpg (92.48 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
el architino

Postby AndrewP » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:10 pm

OK, what's the crack with EL ARCHITINO?
AndrewP

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:26 pm

he's on crack i think...

anyways got another email from the "u2 winner?" - really dunno what to make of this... as a hoaxer I get very paranoid about stuff like this, thinking that people are maybe getting back at me...

this seems authentic enough to me
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby b.ray » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:44 pm

have them send an image to post in the unbuilt - no need to identify them any differently than the others.

just the image and their text....and a copy of the cashed check to ddda if they got one....;0
b.ray

Postby b.ray » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:45 pm

ps. thank you architino!
b.ray

Postby DogsonFire-2 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:55 pm

so, is it the roll of the drums and crack-a-jack pencils at the ready? I would suggest, the jury are invited to reveal their original choice ( by identifying the "picture") in a closed session to Paul Clerkin who is on-line in a chat-room scenario with the "anonomous winner" who then sends their picture. That way all is revealed or not, Jury can come out of their oxygen tent , the prodigal winner is enstated if they are the winner and the DDDA must then compensate the "other winners" for the mistake - say 12,000.00 euro. If it's all wrong then nobody gets hurt and the winner stays at it is and it doesn't have to be made public unless the winner is truly identified. However IF the story is correct anyway........the winner should be found. So.....get the dark brown overcoats on and play that banjo........crack anyone?
DogsonFire-2

Postby colinsky » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:55 pm

Originally posted by b.ray
poor sap forgot to enter, enclose all the required A4 entry information, and pay his entrance fee.... but somehow produced the winning entry, packaged it up and sent it in on time to be judged!!!!

see, that founds much more far-fetched to me than the idea that someone at the DDA misplaced the entry details.
colinsky

Postby DogsonFire-2 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:24 pm

Originally posted by colinsky

see, that founds much more far-fetched to me than the idea that someone at the DDA misplaced the entry details.

Whatever............... it still does not discount the possible preferred project...........which did not have a name. If this was so, it shouldn't have been put before the Jury in the first place....so who's fooling who here! DDDA did reject some entries , and I presume for not complying with entry requirements . i.e no fee and/or no entry form etc etc. ( obvious and normal reasons) so if there was a set of panels in front of the Jury without the correct credentials then they screwed it up at the beginning. Its all speculation at the moment and I'm sure some wise chappies are seeking a clever statement to shape all this..........it they are not then they should be!
DogsonFire-2

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland