Carroll plans huge Dublin pub project

Postby urbanisto » Mon May 19, 2003 3:11 pm

€2 - yeah right! Cheaper pints maybe but Wetherspoons is a business not a charity and once it realises it can get a large market share by offering slighter cheaper beer then it will pull out all its corporate stops! But forget about €2 pint..... maybe when you get to the great big brewery in the sky!
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby GregF » Mon May 19, 2003 3:17 pm

Probably the beer as it's selling cheaper will probably taste like dishwater.
GregF
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Mon May 19, 2003 4:00 pm

Stephen C - I have one word for you "Ryanair".
Rory W
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon May 19, 2003 4:27 pm

Does that mean so wetherspoons will advertise as "Capel St" but it'll actually be an hours bus ride away (that costs extra)...?
d_d_dallas

Postby ew » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:39 am

That's the end of that...
from

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=302&si=1039793&issue_id=9739

UK chain pulls out

UK PUB chain JD Wetherspoon is putting its property at 121-122, Capel St, Dublin up for auction on 2 October through joint agents CB Richard Ellis Gunne and Van de Berg (UK).

The UK group has decided to defer its decision to locate in Dublin for the forseeable future.

While no reserve has been disclosed for the sale of this large shell unit, a price in excess of €2m may be on the cards.
ew

Postby ewanduffy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:57 pm

Originally posted by Rory W
And don't forget the old Forsyth & Forsyth furniture shop which is currently going through the planning process for a JD Weatherspoons pub - hooray for warm beer - but at least it will be €2 a pint which cant be bad in counteracting the pub price inflation problem.

and €7 for 2 dinners (based on a recent experience in London of 2 dinners for £5).
ewanduffy

Postby colinsky » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:40 pm

Originally posted by Harry
Isn't there a plan to cover Moore St. and (part of) Henry Street?

Covering Moore street could work out really nice, but certainly not anything on Henry street... the stright down view to the spire is essential to its placement.
colinsky

Postby what? » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:03 pm

what do people think of the new market bar off georges street? it seems that every architects office in dublin converges on the place on a friday evening,all huddled together in their teams. the place is actually nice and restrained as far as design goes, sorry was, until they put up big tacky gold lettering all over the place. what what..
bad news about woodenspoons tho.could have done with some warm beer.
what?

Postby Rory W » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:03 am

haven't been in it yet but pass it most mornings - agree about the tacky gold lettering ugh, whos idea was that. Thought 'the sausage factory' was a better name for it anyway
Rory W
Old Master

Postby AndrewP » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:38 pm

If you like standing around in a glorified warehouse, shouting to be heard over the noise of several hundred people in one open-plan, bare-walled space, and taking 20 minutes to get served at a very small bar, the Market Bar is for you.
AndrewP

Postby what? » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:01 pm

and if you like standing around in grandmas sitting room listening to steps and wishing you had the space to lift your pint to your mouth, then most other pubs will do. i dont seem to remember when a 50ft long bar became considered small in dublin?
what?

Postby Rory W » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:15 am

If you like standing around in a glorified warehouse, shouting to be heard over the noise of several hundred people in one open-plan, bare-walled space, and taking 20 minutes to get served at a very small bar, the Market Bar is for you.

Well you could be talking about any of the superpubs around town - all of which are as ghastly as the next. Why can you not have a consversation in a pub anymore - do we have to get deafened everywhere and since when do people want to stand for the whole night - after a long day at work there's nothing I like more that standing for 5 hours. I used to think I got a sore throat from smokey bars but its actually from roaring at my friends to have a conversation with them. I say issue 100s of new licences with a cap on the size of the places and turn the musak down.

Its official - I'm old
Rory W
Old Master

Postby AndrewP » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:15 pm

Careful there, daring to suggest that standing, screeching into the ears of your friends in an overpriced, soulless shed designed to maximise drinking space at the expense of anything resembling confort for the punters may not be an ideal night out.

Re the Market Bar -
-However long the bar may be, there isn't enough of it to serve the kajillions of people there in on a Saturday night. In two hours there, I spent nearly 40 minutes getting two rounds in.

-Loud music is one thing. Places like this are loud because too many people are standing around in an open space with bare brick walls and nothing to dampen noise. There's an Emperor's new clothes feel to places like this - if it's packed and I can't hear myself think, then it must be great.

Yes, many of the smaller, more traditional pubs are also overcrowded, but that's because there aren't enough of them in Dublin for a million people plus tourists. I agree with Rory W - more licences.
AndrewP

Postby Papworth » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:21 pm

Dublin pub culture is literally dying on its feet with these standing room only drinking sheds -the once common place local is nearly gone only to replaced with the likes of the Kestral Walkinstown and other drinking blocks ala the Submarine Kimmage the Quay's bar Temple bar and another one the Half Way House Navan Road - these 'locals' have become so huge that bouncers man all corners via radio linkup in an attempt to control the huge drinking frenzy that they create. RIP the once great and intimate Dublin pub environment.
Papworth

Postby GregF » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:52 pm

Poor aul' Breno is turning in his grave.

Also folks not only is the music that they play in these kips way too LOUD, it is also always absolutely shite as well!....Britney & Co etc....music for kids at playschool rather than adults in a nightclub!
GregF
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:34 pm

the junction bar in camp, south of tralee. long night. got lost. three families were there, one of which owned the ploace. dogs, kids, babies, auld ones. immediate savings on baby-sitters and geriatric care. i was the most exciting thing that happened since the train crash before the war. now thats a pub

on a different note, possibly a d sharp, anyone ever go to campions on the quays towards the point before they knocked it to make way for the extended ifsc. great place too. you could walk up to the bar, announce where you hailed from, and some old coot would know your da from back in the day. seriously. randoms towns from louth, mayo, and cork were greeted with cries of "i built that town" and "i once tried to shag your ma" and such. thats whats missing in superpubs, being noticed and engaging with people in any sort of meaningful way, before getting sloshed on guiness and heading to zaytoon for breakfast of course :)

8.80 for a whiskey in coke in handels. buggrem
sw101

Postby Rory W » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:30 pm

Also the mono-age group that are welcome in the superpubs - I sam a group of lads in their early forties being turned away from the Q bar as being too old
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Andrew Duffy » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:05 pm

Equality Commission... Q Bar has been fined for agism before.
Andrew Duffy

Postby Papworth » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:45 am

Give the mono age group a few more years and they wil be curious and search in vain for genuine Dublin locals and they will surely wonder how this destruction of what we were once famous for was destroyed by goverment legislation - the deliberate protection of the infamous publican cartel which sees local bars turned into supersubs.
Papworth

Postby Rory W » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:01 am

Exactly we're pissing away what makes tourists want to come here i.e. real Irish pubs (the ones with two taps - both guinness) and green landscapes (see Bertie Aherns lets build bunglows everywhere comments of 11/9/03).

Lets face it - who comes here to go to 'Zanzibar'?

Or will tourist Ireland be found in the themepark for North County Dublin - ladies and Gentlemen, Faith & Begorrah - it's Paddyworld
Rory W
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland