Lansdowne Road Stadium

What's your opinion of the design?

I like it - a major change from the current one, and sufficently different from Croke Park
82%
Not keen, I don't really like it
12%
No opinion, the devil is in the detail as they say
5%

Total votes : 824

Re: Lansdowne Road Stadium

Postby dermot_trellis » Sun May 30, 2010 11:34 pm

That would look better alright, but would they be allowed put it in the centre? Might be distracting for rugby kickers if it's right in their line of view.

Whether the shallower rake is better or worse than Wembley, I certainly hope they won't have the same horrendous pitch issues! Wembley's been a complete disaster for football so far.
dermot_trellis

Postby thebig C » Mon May 31, 2010 10:33 am

dermot_trellis wrote:That would look better alright, but would they be allowed put it in the centre? Might be distracting for rugby kickers if it's right in their line of view.

Whether the shallower rake is better or worse than Wembley, I certainly hope they won't have the same horrendous pitch issues! Wembley's been a complete disaster for football so far.

Yeah, thats about the only reason I could think of not to site the screen in the centre. Although, if O'gara or Sexton were to be distraced by a big screen....I would imagine thay'd also have problems with the 50,000 people staring at them:)

Actually, I have been told the the semi open end will allow for more rain/sunlight to reach the turf, hense, Aviva shouldn't have Wembleys problems. Every cloud has a silver lining I suppose!
thebig C

Postby reddy » Mon May 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Just looking through all the stadia for the world cup the last couple of days and can't help compare it to Lansdowne.

To be fair - Lansdowne is a good solution, the FAI and IRFU should be congratulated for achieving it on this historic site. The dip to Havelock square really doesn't bother me - however, the internal experience is badly let down by the distraction posed by that bloody truss dominating your vision.

The beautiful Green Point in Cape Town is streets ahead in terms of providing a fantastic setting without the structure impeding the focus on the pitch.

reddy

Postby airjacobs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:08 am

No corporate sponsorship or selling seats corporately. Sure it's only the taxpayers money. The final bill will be double what is anticipated, as and when the fleecers move in. Personally, I would have prefered Abbotstown.
airjacobs

Postby PVC King » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:00 am

The stadium Cost: €410 million (inclusive of €191 government funding)

Abbotstown would have cost €1bn with no private sector funding which means it cost the taxpayer less than 20% of the cost of Abbotstown in terms of what the taxpayer would actually have stumped up. Selling the naming rights may not be everyone's first choice but personally if the funds go into grassroots development of the games then to me I am delighted to see Aviva get some commercial benefit.

Base line Dublin has 2 almost City Centre stadia ensuring that the City Centre leisure trade gets an earner and that the City gets the atmosphere that the colour of supporters brings on match day; edge city stadiums just create traffic jams.
PVC King

Postby Cathal Dunne » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:00 am

Indeed PVC King. I'm looking forward to the new Lansdowne stadium hosting next year's Europa Cup final. Hopefully it's a Liverpool vs AS Roma final or some other combination so that we get plenty of travelling fans coming to Dublin spending lots of money!
Cathal Dunne

Postby wearnicehats » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:03 am

was anyone else as disappointed as me yesterday? the trusses are terribly clunky and, for the size of them, why does the roof not overhang more? I was sitting 11 rows back and had to get bog roll to dry my seat and then had to give up when it lashed at half time. it's not as if it has to hold up glass either, just cheap old perspex. And that little strip of seating at the end is ridiculous. the only plus point is that we seem to have a future goal kicker
wearnicehats

Postby jimg » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:08 am

I wasn't there but also have received a mixed report of the new stadium from a friend who was. The fear that sight-lines on the upper decks would be compromised by the trusses has been vindicated; depending on where you are sitting (obviously), the ball certainly can be obscured during flight. In my opinion, this is an inexcusable design flaw for such an expensive modern rugby stadium.
jimg

Postby GregF » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:56 am

Watching it on TV when there was a kicking opportunity for a conversion or penalty it was hard to distinguish the goalposts against the roof framework of the shallow end. The shallow end row of seats looked rediculous! Should have made it more higher. Still, it's better than when it was a kip.

:-(
GregF
Old Master

Postby Global Citizen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Those trusses are extremely annoying. My ticket was for a seat in the upper west stand yesterday. While the view of the pitch was unhindered, their precence still loomed large. They also obliterate the view of both big screens from a great number of seats. It can be argued that no one goes to a match to watch it on big screens but they have become a part of a modern stadium experience. Its annoying when you cannot see either of them. When others in the crowd react to a replay you are left with a feeling that you're missing out on some of the excitement. Yesterdays game didn't matter, but it would be dissappointing to have these seats for an international.
Global Citizen

Postby adhoc » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Global Citizen wrote: It can be argued that no one goes to a match to watch it on big screens but they have become a part of a modern stadium experience.

From an article in the NYT this week it appears that more and better video is key to keeping fans in the stadium and away from their 50" HD TV at home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/29/sports/football/29stadium.html
adhoc

Postby Peter Fitz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Was actually pretty happy with the view from the far reaches of the upper south stand, great view of the pitch overall & the trusses weren't a factor from that vantage point. It's certainly an odd stadium inside & its the exterior seems to come at the expense of the interior - the steel work is very heavy in spots, difficult to tell from my vantage though if it would in fact obscure views of the ball in flight.

I like the transparency of the place, the cladding allows for great views while your having your pint & whatever else about the dipped northern end, it does uniquely connect the place with the city and surroundings.

It feels, and obviously is, a lot more compact than Croke Park, and should be pretty good for atmosphere & noise ... the small amount there was yesterday, mainly for the mexican wave, seemed to bounce around the place.

The flood lights seem to be all over the steel work, some set very far back, will be interested to see how that works out and if shadows aren't an issue.

The wife was none to impressed with the amount of women's toilets, and sure enough, there a long queue at half time, and only 35,000 in the place ... put Michael Buble on stage, and I think they'll have a problem!

Hard to some it up overall, a lot of positives, but just that bloody steel work, it's difficult to think of a more inelegant solution, and so at odds with the outline of the structure it supports. Still, looking forward to seeing it full for a decent match, it could be a cracking place for atmosphere.
Peter Fitz

Postby wearnicehats » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:07 pm

looking at that last picture I'm struck by the finality of the design. There seems to be no prospect of ever extending the ground at the far end - say if they ever got control of more land. The only possibility would be to put in a straight section of stand-alone seating as the corners could never come round because of the trusses
wearnicehats

Postby thebig C » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:11 pm

It looks like having to taper down so dramatically at the Havelock Sq End is at least partly responsible for the intrustion of the steel-work.

Also, imo, the big screen would be better located directly behind the goal. Firstly, it would enable more to view it, sceondly, I think it would give less of an unfinished look to that end.

C
thebig C

Postby who_me » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:12 pm

GregF wrote:Watching it on TV when there was a kicking opportunity for a conversion or penalty it was hard to distinguish the goalposts against the roof framework of the shallow end. The shallow end row of seats looked rediculous! Should have made it more higher. Still, it's better than when it was a kip.

:-(

Out of curiosity, do the posts have to be white? Could they be painted a different colour for contrast with the background?
who_me

Postby dermot_trellis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:33 pm

wearnicehats wrote:looking at that last picture I'm struck by the finality of the design. There seems to be no prospect of ever extending the ground at the far end - say if they ever got control of more land. The only possibility would be to put in a straight section of stand-alone seating as the corners could never come round because of the trusses

Yeah, I'd been thinking of the possibility of them building up that fourth side to increase the capacity should they ever succesfully buy out the current Havelock Square end residents in future but they'd basically need to rebuild the entire roof structure to do that, it's all interlinked. Still, the quirkiness of the scooped down effect gives it an unusual character, I think. Pity about the over-engineered look and looming effect of the enormo-trusses but there's not much that can be done about it now.
dermot_trellis

Postby Bluetonic » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:57 pm

thebig C wrote:It looks like having to taper down so dramatically at the Havelock Sq End is at least partly responsible for the intrustion of the steel-work.

Also, imo, the big screen would be better located directly behind the goal. Firstly, it would enable more to view it, sceondly, I think it would give less of an unfinished look to that end.

C

I doubt the big screen would be allowed in front of the posts.

Also it would create a big shadow on the houses behind which is why the back wall is transparent in the first place.
Bluetonic

Postby GregF » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Excellent photos Peter Fitz...the stadium looks superb. Watched the game between Man U and the League of Ireland selection on TV and the stadium looked great this time, with being full etc.... sunshine and then floodlights. I'm off to see Ireland V Argentina on Wednesday.

Just a pity the shallow end is so low. The terrace is even lower than what was previously there. Hump the residents I would have made it higher!

Also as a quick fix, maybe flags and banners could be drapped behind that goal at the shallow end.
GregF
Old Master

Postby alonso » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:17 pm

A few shots from the Argentina game:

alonso

Postby gunter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Well, what did you think?
gunter
Old Master

Postby dermot_trellis » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:05 pm

I was literally in the very top row of seats in the upper stand.. The huge trusses loom right over you and obstruct the view of the far stand and the video screen but you can see the entire pitch which is the crucial thing I suppose. It might be a different story for rugby though where the ball is high in the air a lot of the time.

On the plus side, I really like the feeling of connection with the city that you get from the translucent cladding and the scooped-out northern end, there are some excellent views of Dublin from up there and the place looked great with the orange-pink evening light flooding in. Also, entering and exiting was relatively painless (though I heard horror stories from people who tried to use the wrong entrances the week before at the LOI vs Man Utd game).

Negative points: it's been said many times already but that clunky mass of steelwork really does dominate the whole feel of the stadium. Also the high percentage of seating devoted to the expensive premium packages has the potential to rob the place of its atmosphere (that middle tier was half empty most of the time during the Argentina game and took the longest time to empty and fill). Atmosphere was very subdued for the most part (bar the couple of hundred lads in the 'singing section') but I realise that this is par for the course with friendly games and that it generally takes time to develop in a new stadium.
dermot_trellis

Postby wearnicehats » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:34 pm

dermot_trellis wrote:. It might be a different story for rugby though where the ball is high in the air a lot of the time.

Argentina obviously had all the possession then.
wearnicehats

Postby GregF » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Great Photo's Alonso! (Much better than mine)

Great night at the Aviva Stadium was had, well bar the Irish performance. Great atmosphere etc... One thing however there was a bit of a crush at half time when folk went for refreshments....folk walking against the flow .....queues blocking the way etc..but other than that I give the new Aviva Stadium the thumbs up!
Attachments
View 1.jpg
View 1.jpg (206.17 KiB) Viewed 5263 times
View 2.jpg
View 2.jpg (178.53 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
View 4.jpg
View 4.jpg (172.6 KiB) Viewed 5258 times
GregF
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland