Lansdowne Road Stadium

What's your opinion of the design?

I like it - a major change from the current one, and sufficently different from Croke Park
82%
Not keen, I don't really like it
12%
No opinion, the devil is in the detail as they say
5%

Total votes : 824

Postby FIN » Wed May 21, 2003 2:43 pm

sorry but you made no argument why it should be at lansdowne except that you like it!!!

and as for putting it in dublin because it is the only place with the infrastructure....that's daft.... what about the 2/3 of the population????
FIN

Postby Peter Fitz » Wed May 21, 2003 3:11 pm

all of our "infrastructure" is centred on transporting the population to and from the capital from other major centres around the country...

you saw the chaos last year when dublin supporters attempted to travel in huge numbers to semple stadium in thurles.
Peter Fitz

Postby FIN » Wed May 21, 2003 3:26 pm

ha,ha... from what i can remember that is because they couldn't find thurles..athlone is easier to find for you poor unfortunates....imagine having to travel more than a few miles to a match....my god!! the world would stop.

all i'm saying is that instead of crowding an already overcrowded and inadequate infrastructure in dublin because to be fair it's not great either, somewhere outside might be an option. i have no idea where abbotstown is having not spent much time in dublin but from the talk it's on the outskirts, that is the logical choice if, and it looks more than likely, we are forced to have it in dublin. i know the arguments of the great walk to lansdowne, and yes i have traveled to matches that way too, but so what.... that is not an intregal part...we need not plan a stadium around it... having the craic is not dependent on where you are but on what you make yourself.....
FIN

Postby Rory W » Wed May 21, 2003 4:03 pm

Because you'll have great craic sitting in the M50 traffic jam?
Rory W
Old Master

Postby FIN » Wed May 21, 2003 4:16 pm

welcome to going to a match from anywhere else other than dublin...however in my case it's the n4/n7 traffic jam........

what you all don't see is that people have been doing this for years while you just get the bus in from whatever suburb you live in...and as soon as it becomes a bother for you to get to a match you complain.... wake up and smeel the roses lads.....everyone of these options are going to be greeted with the same problems...just get it built
FIN

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed May 21, 2003 5:02 pm

The Athlone/A City argument is the exact same as Abbotstown/Lansdowne one. Realistically Bertie wouldn't mind it in Abbottstown as the man has never spent a real day in his life in our fair capital - he knows nothing of what it's really like trying to get around the place and what it feels like to spend 30 minutes travelling such a small distance. Sitting int he back of a tinted Merc while your driver speedas and the Gardai wave you on is hardly being down with your people.
If any minister actually had to experience transport as we do (instead of the pleasant stroll from Sandymount to Merrion Sq) then there would be a massive increase in spending in that area - and I think the Stadium would be built in Lansdowne.
I don't think having craic is just what you make of it yourself - the location plays an enormous role. How many people go abroad to other cities for a weekend for a match? Locating it miles away from any airport or rail system would be madness and definitely stop people coming. some hassle just isn't worth it.

As for building in Cork or Limerick... no minister would sanction that, as good an idea as that is (hello - national spatial strategy???) nearly every project ever built in this country has revolved around Dublin - we seem intent onstuffing all four million of us into one little pocket on the east coast.
If the Stadium did go South or West - would that not provide a motivation to actually develop and improve the transport links to these places??? Which would also bring secondary benefits. True one third of the country lives in Dublin - but two thirds do not.
d_d_dallas

Postby rperse » Wed May 21, 2003 7:59 pm

yeah, but the other two thirds of the country dont live within 20 miles of each other......50% plus of the population live in leinster, building it outside of dublin is at least debateable, building it outside of leinster is just ridiculous.
rperse

Postby FIN » Thu May 22, 2003 8:24 am

50%...... don't know where you got that stat.
i believe there is 1.5 m in the six counties and as a national stadium would cater for the whole isle then how would define 50% living in leinster... and just as a footnote..last time i checked westmeath was in leinster
FIN

Postby bluefoam » Thu May 22, 2003 8:28 am

This is an archtectural site and the point has just been made that your environment has no bearing on your state of mind....

....So what does an architect do?
bluefoam

Postby FIN » Thu May 22, 2003 8:37 am

fair point but all the arguments were about this "famous" walk from dublin centre to lansdowne...and the pubs encountered on the way...in the states people park in the car park and take out cans and drink there...fair enough they may have the weather sometimes but as an example it shows no matter what people are going to enjoy themselves as they are there primarily for the game

and d_d_ made a good point as regards the spacial strategy...limerick has shown albeit to a limited degree that it can cope with major matches with munster playing in thomond ...
the idea of having down in one of the regional cities is gone but if it did then the investment in that particular city would be profound.... it's infrastructure would have to be upgraded and then that in itself would bring more investment etc.... if the were serious about their "big idea" then they would think of locating it elsewhere but as i said it's never going to happen.

how and ever, back to it's position in dublin, on the outskirts would be preferable i would think to the rest of the country let alone the residents of lansdowne(apart from the publican's) as we wouldn't need to go into the centre of dublin at all...this would free up traffic- well a bit anyway- in the centre.
FIN

Postby bluefoam » Thu May 22, 2003 10:15 am

Here are my thoughts on using the American model of having stadiums away from the cities...

They have eight lanes of highway going to and from the venue, easily catering for the hoards of fans (Ireland still doesn't have a completed motorway). They have numerous stadia like hockey, baseball, football, running tracks etc... all in the one area (whereas Ireland might get a watered down version of a second rate stadium designed for a second rate club team in England). Also the Americans remove the fans from built up areas due to the violent clashes during and after the games. Plus I don't see how drinking 'Lyndon Village' in the car park before the game could be seen as a good thing. Anyway leaving behind the issues of travel and traffic and Americans knacker-drinking in car parks.

Lansdowne has a character that will be very difficult to surpass anywhere and I don't believe this is entirely due to the pubs or drinking etc... I have been going to Lansdowne since I was a nipper (probably 10 or so). Some of it is to do with the layout of the stadium but it is mostly to do with the area and the way the crowd comes together through lanes and side streets and off the dart. Also, the impact on traffic is not horrendous due to the DART.
bluefoam

Postby FIN » Thu May 22, 2003 10:33 am

that's true...and i have been going since about the same age too. has anyone projected what the 65,000 stadium would look like on lansdowne site?
and just cos i think it's fun, why should we have 2 stadiums of large capacities in the city? seeing that we as tax payer's are paying for both of them do we not have the right to say( and not the gaa council) what should be played in them...i know it's totally off the topic but hey...
but speaking of the character of landsdowne... would this character not be lost in regards to the layout of the stadium if it's taken down and rotated???
and where do we play international's until the new one is built and in all honesty that could take years..i don't relish going to england or for that matter scotland for our international games either in rugby or football. we would be the laughing stock of europe...going to a foreign country to play our "home" games...
FIN

Postby Rory W » Thu May 22, 2003 2:08 pm

Drinking in a car park is (a) illegal and (b) were you at Ireland V Argentina last year? It pissed like a monsoon for the entire game and people were delighted to get indoors to have a few whiskeys after the game. Why have 2 large stadia? Because one of them is a closed shop?

Isn't it more civilised that we can walk to the game from the centre of our capital city?
Rory W
Old Master

lansdowne

Postby crc » Fri May 23, 2003 10:50 pm

Fin - the decision about what where to play in coming years is going to have to be made regardless of whether Lansdowne is out of action for rebuilding or not - UEFA very soon won't be letting the soccer team use temporary seating, thus reducing the capacity of the ground and the FAIs gate revenue dramatically.

There is an argument for saying that the FAI should help either Bohs or Shels complete Dalymount or Tolka to arount 15 - 20,000 and use that for match as a (very) temporary measure while Lansdowne is redevelopped.

The Rugby team is different - but they could atlernate matches between Belfast, Limerick and possibly Cork.

Both of these measure would mean both the IRFU and the FAI would feel the pinch for a while - but if they leave the matter run and run it will come to a head at some point.

I personally think that redeveloping Lansdowne into a 65,000 stadium is the best option. The importance of the rail line cannot be overstated too, and there would be scope for redeveloping the station (to where the current West stand is) along with the stadium.
crc

Postby FIN » Mon May 26, 2003 4:20 pm

"Why have 2 large stadia? Because one of them is a closed shop?"
yes but why? we all paid for it. discrimination is against the law now as far as i am aware!

"Isn't it more civilised that we can walk to the game from the centre of our capital city?"

i like this one!!! very good. how could you define that as more civilised? what is civilised? going en-masse to a sport where you want to give the other team a good trouncing.
sorry i couldn't resist... i get your point about it but it still forces fans into the city centre there clogging it up more and then trying to find parking and not get ripped off( by the way your parking charges up there are crazy ). not able to drink because of the whole driving thing. and then fighting to get home through the traffic again. hmmmmm! sounds appealing.

if i lived up there i might have the same opinion as that but open your minds too the possibility that maybe this isn't a great system. i do agree that the dart is brilliant to get to the matches. but isn't there supposed to be a luas out to the bertie bowl??? as i said earlier i have no idea where abbotstown is so i don't know if that is better i do think it's not worse. it's not going to be our choice anyway so basically it's going to be to which politican owns the land.

do we all agree that we need a new stadium at least?
FIN

Postby crc » Mon May 26, 2003 7:35 pm

OK, we take it as given that we need a second stadium, because whether or not we need it is a whole different argument.
--------

It should be based at the Lansdowne Rd site.

Whether we like it or not, a very large section of the Irish rugby public lives very close to the current site. We may not like the way they talk, or dress, or the cars they drive - but they do live in D4, not Abbotstown!

Fans travelling from outside Dublin to matches get to see the city aswel and enjoy the craic around town. Instead of driving as far as the M50, seeing the match and then driving home again - lets face it, even if it were legal, the Irish wouldn't drink in car parks. And the govt is not going to build/sanction loads of pubs in the middle of nowhere that will only be used 15 times a year.

The DART is a piece of infrastructure that a) already exists, and b) has a much greater capacity that either bus or tram. (but of course they don't have to be mutually exclusive! - The Stade de France is accesible by RER (similar to the DART), metro and tram).
crc

What about the Atmosphere?

Postby Danielle » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:46 pm

Everyone has seemed to forget to mention the atmosphere of the leadup to Landsdowne Road - theres notheing like it. Walking from town there is a road filled with people enjoying the atmosphere before the match. Every pub is cramped with people and its great to see the supporters mingling together before the big match. In my opinion it is this walk up to Lansdowne that really makes the day. No matter what match soccer or rugby theres always people in different jerseys together.

The stadium is being renovated to seat more SUPPORTERS and it is these supporters that go to these matches loyally and indeed want to have a good time. Matches in Landsdowne aren't simply about winning or losing, they are about the atmosphere and having a good time - without this there wouldn't be a need for a bigger stadium as there wouldn't be enough supporters to fill it! So where would we be going if we set up anywhere else - especially Abbotstown? Lansdowne has it all.

And as for the D4 "snobs" rejecting the proposal of a new upgraded stadium - being from Ballsbridge myself and though I can see peoples point in rejections I honestly think the majority will approve of the NEW, MORE ADVANCED stadium - afterall what "snobs" could resist?!

;)
Danielle

Re: What about the Atmosphere?

Postby FIN » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:50 pm

Originally posted by Danielle
Everyone has seemed to forget to mention the atmosphere of the leadup to Landsdowne Road - theres notheing like it. Walking from town there is a road filled with people enjoying the atmosphere before the match. Every pub is cramped with people and its great to see the supporters mingling together before the big match. In my opinion it is this walk up to Lansdowne that really makes the day. No matter what match soccer or rugby theres always people in different jerseys together.

that was mentioned.

Matches in Landsdowne aren't simply about winning or losing, they are about the atmosphere and having a good time
what absolute nonsense. why play sport at all if it's not about winning. what contributes to having a good time is your team winning.
without this there wouldn't be a need for a bigger stadium as there wouldn't be enough supporters to fill it! So where would we be going if we set up anywhere else - especially Abbotstown? Lansdowne has it all.

if we were winning every game we played then there would be the crowd. i would admit playing the likes of faroe islands and other such teams won't pull the same amounts as france but i would suggest that when we play france croke park could be filled twice over with people wanting to see it. all this is abitrary as the decision was made ages ago.
FIN

New Lansdowne Road Stadium proposal unveiled

Postby GregF » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:40 pm

http://www.irishrugby.ie/newspage/65026.html

Looks good too.....looks ''futuristic''....now go and build it and hump the neighbours.
GregF
Old Master

Re: New Lansdowne Road Stadium proposal unveiled

Postby GregF » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:46 pm

GregF
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:53 pm

Landsdowne rebuilding cost rises by €70m
Monday, 17th October, 2005

The cost of redeveloping Landowne Road will be just over €70 million more than estimated.
Minister for Sport John O'Donoghue today unveiled the final plans for the 50,000-seater stadium - to be used primarily by Ireland's rugby and soccer teams.

But at €365 million, the cost of redevelopment is more than the €292 million originally envisaged. Philip Browne, chairman of the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company, said: "This is a very different stadium to the one which we looked at in our original feasibility study."

Mr O'Donoghue said the arena would be a superb modern sports ground. "This is another major piece of sporting infrastructure in the city of Dublin which will be enjoyed by all Irish people.

"We can be proud of this imaginative and attractive design. It is a superb modern structure and one which I hope will come to be an icon for Irish rugby and soccer followers," the Minister said.

The stadium will be made up of continuous curved stands enclosing all four sides of the ground. The south, east and west stands will have four tiers, with the bottom and top levels holding most spectators.

The north stand will sweep down to one low level of seating, allow plenty of sunlight onto the playing surface and minimising the impact on residents close to that end of the ground.

Mr Browne said: "We believe the team has taken on board many of the concerns and have addressed them without compromising their design. They have also built in a great deal more facilities than we originally had hoped for. This in turn has given us a wider range of funding opportunities."

Some 10,000 seats will be set aside on the second tier for premium ticket holders while the third tier will cater for around 1,300 corporate visitors with hospitality facilities.

The ground will provide better disabled access, press facilities for up to 300 and improved player facilities for both home and away teams.

It is hoped work on the stadium will begin in early 2007 and that it could be ready to host major soccer and rugby games in 2009. The existing stadium will host matches during 2006.

But the residents' association in the exclusive Dublin 4 area where the stadium is situated could be a major hurdle to securing permission for the building.

The stadium is being co-developed by the Irish Rugby Football Union and the Football Association of Ireland and grant-aided by the State.

If the planning process If the planning process stays on schedule, then the work is expected to begin in 2007 with completion by 2009. The international rugby and football teams may play at Croke Park during that time after the GAA scrapped its controversial Rule 42 in April.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/6533104?view=Eircomnet

I think it looks attractive
PVC King

Postby murphaph » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:22 pm

Looks nice, but what's forcing the lower roof/smaller capacity stand where the north terrace is now? Is the site constrained behind the north terrace? (I sit in the upper west, near the north terrace end but you can't really see 'over' it to see if there's something stopping expansion there.
murphaph

Postby crestfield » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:05 pm

Looks great but I dont see it happening, not without a prolonged fight anyway. After all the residents of Landsdowne Road have deeper pockets then those on Jones's Road.
crestfield

Postby aj » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:12 pm

crestfield wrote:Looks great but I dont see it happening, not without a prolonged fight anyway. After all the residents of Landsdowne Road have deeper pockets then those on Jones's Road.

maybe so but...you cant help thinking that when then compare what is there presently to what is propsed even they will soften... well maybe a little bit!
aj

Postby FIN » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:38 pm

i think it looks great. hopefully a nice quick 2 month decision :)
FIN

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland