new Liffey bridge

new Liffey bridge

Postby Jas » Tue Apr 06, 1999 2:42 pm

I see that the new Liffey bridge by Howley Harrington is to cost twice as much as originally thought.

<A HREF=http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/Ireland/1999/0406/hom22.htm">Article</A>
Jas

Postby Mrs. M. J. Lister » Tue Apr 06, 1999 6:05 pm

is there really a need for a new bridge , or better still is there a need for that river?
Mrs. M. J. Lister

Postby Shane » Tue Apr 27, 1999 2:30 pm

That there are so few bridges spanning the river the 'North' / 'South' divide in Dublin seems, to me, to be exaserbated. I think that the new bridge, even at double the cost, will go some way towards correcting this. Compared to most of the great rivers that flow through the capitals of Europe the Liffy is a stream. Given this, there is no reason what-so-ever that the Liffy should act as a border zone. Also, given the developments in Smithfield and the HARP project isn't time we started thinking of Dublin more on an East-West axis.
Shane

Postby Ger » Mon Jun 21, 1999 11:06 pm

If it only costs double it will be still better value than the last two Liffey bridges built. How much is Dublin Corporation losing by the gross underestimation of traffic density? I find it strange that everyone at the planning tribunal seems to have forgotten the eastlink.
Ger

Postby Donncha » Thu Jun 24, 1999 8:23 pm

Its great to see that twice the cost means twice the banality. While it may represent cool understated civil architecture in its paired down modern design , it comes across more as apologetic of its presence and a cheap imitation of the wonderufl Ha'penny bridge.

Yes a bridge is essential. It will direct human traffic away from the main croosing points and allow better accessto these areas on the north side being developed.

BUT DOES IT HAVE TO BE SOOO BORING!!
Donncha

Postby MG » Sun Jun 27, 1999 4:18 pm

I see they're preparing the site for its construction - there are hoardings on the south bank and a floating crane in position.......
MG

Postby Tcrotty » Tue Aug 24, 1999 8:30 am

Any idea when this is going to be completed?
Tcrotty

Postby Duq » Fri Sep 10, 1999 11:40 pm

Wasn't there a cheaper way to get some new seats for beggars?

Duq
Duq

Postby GLucas » Fri Oct 15, 1999 12:43 pm

Isnt that a tad negative? The bridge will help open up the areas between Capel Street and Liffey Street. And the Ha'penny bridge is a complete bitch to cross with a pushchair or wheelchair as it is so steep.
GLucas

Postby Hugh Pearman » Tue Oct 19, 1999 3:51 pm

Strikes me that the real problem around here is the traffic thundering along the quays. Get rid of that somehow and both banks will knit together considerably better, bridges and all.
Hugh Pearman

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Oct 25, 1999 11:05 am

I've added more details on the bridge design including several computer generated views of it courtesy of Howley Harrington Architects.

http://www.archeire.com/onsite/millenium_bridge/index.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby MG » Tue Oct 26, 1999 12:25 pm

The new bridge looks very well - very simple design - deceptively simple I reckon. It looks like the problem of all the steps at the Ha'penny bridge doesnt exis. One question: where do the people go on the north bank. There is no street nearby.
MG

Postby Paul_9000 » Fri Oct 29, 1999 3:37 pm

I read somewhere about a development for the north quay, the bridge will channel people through an arch similar to the merchants arch. Could make that part of town fairly interesting. As for the bridge, you don't want it to over power the H'Penny. The detail seems to be good. But I can see fistycuffs with the bottle necks that this board walk will cause as it comes to each bridge.
Paul_9000

Postby Jas » Fri Oct 29, 1999 3:55 pm

I assume the walkway will just stop, forcing pedestrians back out onto the footpath before starting again after the bridges.
Jas

Postby GLucas » Sun Nov 07, 1999 1:34 pm

The metal structure is spoanning the Liffey today......

BTW is the Corpo still going to create a new street on the north bank opposite the bridge?
GLucas

Postby MG » Mon Nov 08, 1999 11:17 am

MG

Postby Jas » Mon Nov 08, 1999 12:08 pm

There was a very good article by Shane O'Toole is yesterday's edition of The Sunday Times about the bridge.
Jas

Postby Tramway » Thu Nov 11, 1999 10:16 am

The bridge is going to be a great addition to the city. Must be weird for the architect, knowing that he's making a serious impact on the fabric of the city - river crossings are always important.

Saw the article and the link to archeire!
Tramway

Postby Bik » Thu Nov 11, 1999 5:55 pm

I read that the architect said that this bridge "must have a conversation with the ha'penny bridge"
What DOES this mean?
Bik

Postby Mrs. M. J. Lister » Thu Nov 11, 1999 6:50 pm

If they were too "different" they might start argueing.
Mrs. M. J. Lister

Postby Jude » Sat Nov 20, 1999 7:03 pm

Seeing that there are many other bridges that have been built over the last couple of hundred years or morej, I am sure that when the designing of the "older" bridges at that time caused as much fuss if not more as the new Liffey bridge is causing.

Does no one think that with all the wonderful booming building structures going on that to see something wonderfully refreshing as a new bridge develop more astonishing.

Sure, everyone knows how bricks, cemente and precasts are developed into houses, apartments, shoping centres, but to see a bridge being built before your every eyes, I just think that we should look on at this development and say to our families in years to come that we all witnessed the development of this new bridge.
Jude

Postby Marina Bryant » Thu Nov 25, 1999 2:38 pm

The Millenium Bridge wasn't built before our eyes, it was cast in Carlow and hauled up to dublin on a big old lorry, then the precast, prefabricated, ready-to-go truss was slotted into place

What makes the building of this structure so great when compared with prefabricated, blah, blah, blah and so on and so forth....?

When did architecture become so boring?
Marina Bryant

Postby Mrs. M. J. Lister » Thu Nov 25, 1999 6:40 pm

One of the most inspiring bridges i have ever
seen , is Future Systems pontoon bridge @ Canary Wharf, London.
This bridge was entirely prefabricated,and also transported to site on a lorry in two pieces and floated into place.The only work that needed to be done on site was the droping of concrete slabs to anchor it.
Just because it was prefabricated doesn`t detract from the beauty to the structure,if anything it adds to it.
And along with many of the other projects(Lords media center, Pembrokshire house) which embrace prefabrication technology, is an architecture that is about as far from boring as you can get!!
Mrs. M. J. Lister

Postby Fiachra » Fri Nov 26, 1999 10:45 am

Pre-fabrication.
New Inland Revenue, SAGA HQ building and Portcullis House all by Michael Hopkins and Partners. Great architecture.
Fiachra

Postby Marina Bryant » Fri Nov 26, 1999 3:07 pm

People, people, I was not poo-pooing prefabrication. I was just trying to explain to the chap above that it "...wasn't built before your every eyes..." [see the sentimental comments above]

Infact I do not really see how the words prefabrication and technology [in this instance only] can be used together in the same sentence. The fitting of the truss was practically neanderthal ... all those lovely little ashcon boys banging away[for hours and hours], trying to coax the truss to 'slip' into the fins on both quays. It was reminiscent of the opening scenes of 2001: A Space Oddyssey [and indeed an episode of the Simpsons].

Technology, I don't think so.

Indeed Mrs Lister, the Future Systems Bridge is an absolutley beautifully structured bridge.

Good Afternoon!
Marina Bryant

Next

Return to Ireland