Silly Question Cont'd

Silly Question Cont'd

Postby john white » Fri Oct 29, 1999 10:08 am

Hi there

Remember I asked about those quadrant shaped flat pieces of stone in the corners of the Custom's House Exterior?

Rory I think sugested they were to stop people urinating in corners[the stones slope down toward the trousers]. That seems like a good theory to me.

We were in Venice again last week and my girlfiriend and I spotted a HUGE one not far from Corso Nuovo. It's about 4 feet in radius! and almost touching the ground. Very steep angle. I don't know - my girlfriend suggested it's a structural support.

Unless it's for stopping elephants...

Who knows how some of these features come about. I presume lots of them start in a mundane fashion and then become encorporated into newer deigns when the original purpose is forgotten. Sometimes becoming decorative in themselves.

Any thoughts?
John
john white

Postby Hugh Pearman » Fri Oct 29, 1999 5:58 pm

You get these pieces occasionally in London, too - the Victorians did them in iron as well as stone, to fill in corners on public stairways etc. They are certainly anti-urination devices, and very effective - perhaps they should be revived.

Examples to be seen as you step down from Tower Bridge towards Conranland on the south bank of the thames.
Hugh Pearman

Postby john white » Fri Oct 29, 1999 7:23 pm

Thanks Hugh. Hmmm... I wonder why the one in Venice was huge?

Read your article in The Times. Was you wasn't it? About the Pevsner-ish guide to Churches? I enjoyed it. I think we need something similar here. At least.

Cheerio
John
john white

Postby Rory W » Mon Nov 22, 1999 6:52 pm

John,

You are so right about bringing them back. I also think that someone should invent a corner in Temple Bar that Vomits back at you (That'll teach ya for drinking too much!!!)

RORY W
Rory W
Old Master

Postby john white » Tue Nov 23, 1999 6:21 pm

Is there a substance that repels vomit at speed?

John
john white

Return to Ireland