The Spike

Postby GregF » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:47 am

....or anyone else who is flavour of the day.
GregF
Old Master

Postby phil » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:04 am

What could be more fun would be a poll on who we would like to see dropped from a helicopter on to the top of the Spire! :D
phil
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:41 pm

Originally posted by phil
What could be more fun would be a poll on who we would like to see dropped from a helicopter on to the top of the Spire! :D

The list of voting options would be too long, I think the original poll would be interesting my own choice would be Henry Joy McCracken.
PVC King

Re: The Spike

Postby james_colhoun » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:31 pm

Hello whoever might be reading this!
I'm a student at Trinity and I'm actually writting my thesis on the spire, researching the opinions of 3 groups - for want of a better term - of people: indigent people, academics and the general public. The final product wont be ready till March, 2005, but if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to keep you up-to-date regarding my research findings.
Bye for now,
James
james_colhoun

Postby PVC King » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:53 pm

What is the central objective of the thesis?
PVC King

Postby burge_eye » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:25 am

james_colhoun wrote:Hello whoever might be reading this!
I'm a student at Trinity and I'm actually writting my thesis on the spire, researching the opinions of 3 groups - for want of a better term - of people: indigent people, academics and the general public. The final product wont be ready till March, 2005, but if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to keep you up-to-date regarding my research findings.
Bye for now,
James

Indigent or indignant? When does a member of the general public become indigent? Maybe you should separate the general public from tourists? I think it's become a strong symbol of dublin and I think it's a great scale for the city as a whole, especially as you can appreciate it without having to get too close to O'Connell Street!
burge_eye

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:36 pm

Is your thesis just public opinions? Does this qualify as original research these days? God, I should go back and do my doctorate.... I could just ask everyone on here and finish one in record quick time ;)

Seriously, unless you're adding other information, it all sounds a little thin for a thesis...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby TLM » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:02 pm

Looking back through this thread...I'm absolutely horrified to hear that the Spire's discolouration at the base is intentional! It makes the entire structure look cheap, tacky, industrial and unfinished.

Apparently the design on the base is based on a soil sample taken at some stage in the construction. Though I like that the base is reflective in places the current design is not working. At one stage a celtic design had been proposed...I dont know how well this would work either but anything would have been preferable to the current dirt inspired mess!

I think if more people were aware of this the general feeling would be the same.. This has to be put right!
TLM

Postby Gar » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:06 pm

For the most part I like the Spire. I just wish it didn't look so bloody dirty all the time, It looks particularly awful in dull weather, but spectacular on a bright sunny day. Will someone please clean off those dirty brown streaks !

I wish they would light it up more effectively at night though.
Gar

Postby Lotts » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:40 am

I think the very fact that the monument was build only almost as proposed is telling. We compromised on every aspect of it (except the location i suppose) and ended up with a poor version of what should have been. The Jury were absolutely correct that this is a monument reflective of Ireland in Europe in the 21 st century.
Lotts

Postby PVC King » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:22 am

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but are the lights at the top of the Spire permanent? Its just when one looks at the images in the construction of Dublin its lighting is so very different.
PVC King

Postby Devin » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:27 am

Yeah, it was meant be a soft glow, but it’s a harsh light in reality. And there was never any explanation (that I read or heard anyway) of why they couldn’t make it like it was in the images. Does anyone know? I think this came up before way back in the thread - dunno what page.

Also irritating (and raised before) is the strip of light around the middle. Is it permanent? It looks silly. If there’s a danger of something missing the light at the top but crashing into the middle, why can’t they light it gently from the roofs of the buildings instead?
Devin
Old Master

Happy Birthday Spire

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:35 am

Arrgh, just knew I'd forget it when the time came came but anyway: the Spike was exactly two years old as of last Friday the 21st of January - the day when the final segment was hoisted into place in 2002.
Seems like it was yesterday!
I was reading back on many of the pages in this thread and oh the innocence of it all :)
Pleased to say that the report from RTE News on the Big Day is still available here and is well worth a look (as is the old pinky set & graphics that look so 1999 :))

So what do people think of it now two years on? Do you even look at it anymore?
Can you contrast your first sight of it complete with your perspective on it now?
Irritatingly I can't remember the first time seeing it complete, but can recall walking away from it afterwards, looking back from D'Olier St & then from Westmoreland and being amazed at its magnificent impact. I didn't want to walk away south to get the bus!

The fact that it's still a work in progress because of outstanding issues like lighting and cleaning probably still keeps it alive for most of us here - to the extent it'll almost be a pity to see it actually finished!

Overall I think Shane O'Toole summed up the Spike nicely recently - you simply cannot imagine the street without it.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby RevJamesFlynn » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:00 pm

I think it's just fantastic. It's the dogs gonads. It's even more satisfying to hear friends who moaned incessantly about the Spire while it was being built, start to come around. It changes the entire street. Give that Richie guy a medal.

James
RevJamesFlynn

Postby TLM » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:48 am

I'm a fan too...but am disappointed by the different materials used between the base and upper part, the fact the tip is lit too harshly and by that annoying strip of light half way up it. Other than that it looks great though!
TLM

Postby phil » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:10 pm

Anyone seen the table tennis yet?
phil
Old Master

Postby emf » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:11 pm

They have had to put railings up around the table. Takes away from the starkness of having the table isolated on the central median!
I think that stray balls were causing trouble for motorists!!!
There is also a sign now warning players not to throw balls at cars!
emf

Postby phil » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:05 pm

emf wrote:They have had to put railings up around the table. Takes away from the starkness of having the table isolated on the central median!
I think that stray balls were causing trouble for motorists!!!
There is also a sign now warning players not to throw balls at cars!

That is absolutely classic!
phil
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:33 pm

I seem to remember that in the original plans for the Spire, it was to be illuminated from tip to toe. All we have now is a shitty strip of light at the top and that annoying sliver of light half way up. Anyone know of any plans to light it up completely? Maybe after Upper O'C is finished??

Anyway, how's about this :p

Morlan

Postby GrahamH » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:48 am

heheheh - as screwy as ever Morlan :D
AND you've managed to satisfy all the whingers by providing that all important viewing point - they can all climb up the service ladders!
The concrete would've matched the archie lampposts too were they still in place :(

As an aside that's one of the very few viewpoints on the street that really captures the beauty of Johnston's portico - I really like it, a lot of people don't I know, but much of the 'weight' that's often criticised is lost from this position, a view no doubt Johnston considered when draughting. It is imposing rather than heavy when observed from here.
O'Connell St was afterall a very different place in 1814...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:40 am

Graham Hickey wrote:they can all climb up the service ladders!

:d Haha, yeah I can just imagine it. "20 euro up to the top, common now, move along! move along!"

Anyway, it's my photoshop job but not my original photo. It's almost impossible to get a shot from this angle. The photographer must have been waiting a loooong time for the traffic to clear, and spitting venom at pedestrians too!
Morlan

Postby dave123 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:01 pm

No offence....

What a waste of money...

Ppl come to Dublin and see a huge pin, :eek:
It’s even difficult to get a full picture of it :mad:

Anyway a can of beans would look architecturally better in my view

Yours Sincerely

David123
dave123

Postby PVC King » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:52 pm

I saw this on Boards http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054948826

A good idea or frivolous humour?
PVC King

The Spire at night

Postby Morlan » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:37 pm

The Spire is a waste of money if it continues to look as it does.

Taken by: http://flickr.com/photos/alistercoyne/26134125/

The Spire has to be an important and focal part of the city centre. The whole sculpture MUST be floodlit from top to bottom in order for it to have a notable impact to tourists and locals at night.

As it stands, 80% of the sculpture is practically invisible at night. The illuminated top part of the monument looks, and to be totally honest, stupid. :(

A few simple floodlights mounted on the GPO and surrounding buildings would have an immense impact on the monument for little cost.

The many comments I've read about the Spire (from non-Dubliners) over at Flickr.com suggests that the monument is seriously underperforming at night.

So what's going to happen? The DCC will do nothing for as long as possible. They will probably employ the cheapest electricians in town to bang up a few 500W floodlights instead of hiring professional lighting designers.

Oh Dublin. So much potential but nobody's arsed really, are they? :rolleyes:
Morlan

Postby fergalr » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:13 pm

When it comes to politics and a will to see public issues dealt with efficienctly and competently, we are shockingly poor. I am sometimes so ashamed at the amateur nature of this country.
I have always been a big fan of the spike (did you see the runners up's ideas??) and I cannot believe that the floodlighting that was planned SO many years ago has still not been put up.

Dublin is meant to be the capital city of a Western nation....how can we not even do this?
fergalr

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland