The Spike

Postby GregF » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:14 am

Originally posted by PaulC
Just imagine that Dublin Council made the announcement tomorrow morning that the Spire is to be taken down and dumped. What would the public reaction be?
I would say there would be uproar from all sections. And I bet there would be a lot more that 50% of Dubs sorry to see it go.

....there'd be a bit of an uproar alright but it would fizzle out, I'd say. The lamentable ''floozie in the jacuzzi'' has been totally forsaken by all. In hindsight, it was a good attraction and focal point in a way, despite it attracting the riff raff, drug peddalers, etc .... Would it be a good idea to have it re-modelled and re-instated again further up the street, which seems rather empty and bare?
GregF
Old Master

Postby urbanisto » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:07 pm

Does anyone know when the cleaning will take place. The Spire looks a stae at the moment - very grubby. Is the idea to flloodlight it dead and buried?
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:07 pm

http://www.rte.ie/comments/comments.html

We need more money in sport, why do you think we have no medals in Athens yet. Bertie should stop wasting the possible funds on ugly and purposeless things like the Spire on O'Connell street.
Ollie Kelly, Dublin
PVC King

Postby Peter Fitz » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:18 pm

tom mcgurk was giving out about our performance this morning & saying 'look how the dutch have done, they're a small nation ...'

small geographically maybe, but holland's population is 16m+, you can't compare this against our 3.9m ...
Peter Fitz

Postby Morlan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:10 pm

I though the initial deal was to light up the whole Spire with flood lighting.. will this ever happen? If/when they do this they could get rid of that stupid avaiation strip of light halfway up, it spoils the spire's linearness.

Another thing that bugs me is the abrupt metre of light at the top.. they should change it a red glowing pulse, maybe stick a smoke machine up there to give it the added effect of a giant fag in the middle of the street. They could use it to promote the smoking ban by luring punters out of the pubs to spark up.

Here's some more of those slow shutter photos. They're by Barry Mason link

Morlan

Postby PaulC » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:43 am

That is a fantastic photograph!
PaulC

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:58 am

agreed
a very slow exposure - look for the "ghosts"
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Irishtown » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:54 pm

Awesome pictures. And I agree, they need to chuck the light strip on the midpoint.
Irishtown

Postby phil » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:13 am

I agree about the light in the middle. I think that the lights at the top should also be altered so that there is a gradual tapering of the amount of light emmitted. I must say that I am getting used to it as it is though. It makes it instantly recognisable from afar at night. Who took those photos. They are, I think, the best photos of Spire I have seen.
phil
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:32 am

Originally posted by phil
They are, I think, the best photos of Spire I have seen.

Barry Mason, link above.
Morlan

Postby phil » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:51 am

Thanks for that Morlan. I did not see that link when I first looked at the photos.

Phil
phil
Old Master

Postby dargan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:08 pm

I really like the spire but my main problem with it is that it is too small. When I llok at it I want it to grow up more out of the ground. Look forward to seeing the completion of O'Connell St.

Pictures are beautiful.
dargan

Postby GregF » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:15 pm

They are really great photos......got any more of the city?

I think everyone now appreciates the O'Connell Street makeover despite all the hoo haa by the disgruntled at the start. That old story about the waste of 4 million on the Spire and what about the homeless seems to be forgotton.
GregF
Old Master

Postby Sue » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:42 pm

They're are no genuinely homeless people left in Dublin. There is a bed for everyone - be it in a hostel, B&b or whatever

And who the hell wants to win medals in the Olympics? Does it put butter on anyone's bread in ireland that Cian Whatsisface got a gold for jumping a few fences?

The thought of losing out on the Spire to pay for more of that is moronic. I hope it wins the Stirling prize, but I guess the Gherkin is unbeatable
Sue

Postby bluefoam » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:35 pm

Originally posted by Sue
They're are no genuinely homeless people left in Dublin. There is a bed for everyone - be it in a hostel, B&b or whatever

And who the hell wants to win medals in the Olympics? Does it put butter on anyone's bread in ireland that Cian Whatsisface got a gold for jumping a few fences?

The thought of losing out on the Spire to pay for more of that is moronic. I hope it wins the Stirling prize, but I guess the Gherkin is unbeatable

Sue you are genuinely shortsighted and selfish. I hope to never meet you.
bluefoam

Postby Doug C » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:55 pm

Sue,

Thanks, you've given me the opportunity to suggest that you all pay a visit to this fine site.

http://www.trust-ireland.ie/

ps I agree, it would be great if the Spire won.
Doug C

Postby PVC King » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:59 pm

I agree with Sue that Ireland has had enough resources to build the spike as a stand alone project, in my opinion it has had these resources for at least a decade.

It is completely stupid that the spike is used as a stick to beat government with anytime a particular interest group or idiot feels that another subject area is underfunded. :mad:

Focus & Simon should get more government cash for sure but there is a rationale enough to do this without cutting the urban renewal budget, ironically the places where most homeless people hang out.

The spike will pay for itself by contributing along with other improvements to reverse the decline in O'Connell St, therebye safegaurding the rates base. ;)
PVC King

Postby shaun » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:52 pm

I agree with Sue here, the Spire is the best thing to have happened in Dublin since the Central bank, Dame street.
shaun

Postby GrahamH » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:00 pm

As someone who walks through the city centre everyday, I'm all too well aware of the amount of homeless on the streets - passing the same people in their same places every, as well as newcomers, you really become aware of the contrast between so much wealth and poverty, esp at Christmas, and on freezing or wet days when rushing to get inside and get warm, passing by people who have to spend the whole day under blankets.

But as others say, the improvement of the urban environment, or once in a lifetime projects like the Spire should not be used to hold up a flame for the disadvantaged in society. This is not where public monies are disappearing. It is primarily an issue of inadequate distribution of wealth on a much larger scale. The recent flagging of possible further tax cuts as a result of an upturn in the economy says it all.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby phil » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:27 am

I think it should be realised that the last year a concerted effort was made to remove homeless people and beggars from the area between O'Connell Street and Grafton Street. This is all part and parcel of the 'Dublin: Make the City Yours' campaign, which interestingly enough used the Spire as part of its logo by putting it instead of the 'L' in Dublin. I am a fan of the spire as a sculptural piece, but there is no doubt that it is part and parcel of the campaign to sanitize the main shopping district of the city and move any thing that does not fit in with its new image to outside this area.
phil
Old Master

Postby yee haw » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:56 am

There are three issues...

I almost never give to beggars, but I do regularly donate to the Simon. They have the expertise to allocate those moneys in the best way possible. Giving money to beggars is quite often simply going to the wrong people, and in the wrong way. So I don't have a problem with moving beggars from an area. They simply are interfering with the proper running of society. HOWEVER, I would be completely in favour of them lobbying the government, etc, for more money...but in all honesty, who on earth thinks that a FF/PD government would care less about people with no vote (I will be presumptious and presume the majority don't/can't vote). I would be in favour of them protesting in front of Gov Buildings...but that will never happen due to the nature of the people involved, and their problems. The solution is either a progressive, ACTUALLY CARING ABOUT THEIR CITIZENS government, or campaiging by a homeless representative group.

Secondly, people seem to imagine that the 4million could have been spent on building homeless shelters. Generally there are plenty of beds and the problem lies with the homeless's mental problems rather than the simplistic matter of a bed. A once-off lumpsum would be no use to this matter, and is better suited to a once-off item (such a building a sculpture, rejuvinating pride in their city for Dubliner's). The continous flow of money required for an item such as providing adequate mental care (or similar items), is best served by taking it from a continious source...such as a 0.1% raise in tax (or as Graham Hickey points out, simply leaving taxes where they are, and using that money for the less wealthy, rather than putting more pay in already-fat wallets).

Thirdly, I pay taxes. I deserve to get something in return for that. I have both paid more than enough for BOTH a Spire and to see my more-unfortunate fellow citizens have their problems seen to. That's what I pay taxes for...to get things done for MYSELF and for MY SOCIETY (which includes nice items directly for myself - like Spires...and which includes indirect items for myself - like helping less fortunate people)...not for governments funding racecourse clubhouses. It is the government's incompentance, rather than the fault of the Spire, that is to blame.
yee haw

Postby Morlan » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:54 am

Is there any mention of installing floodlighting to light up the whole structure (as this was in the original design)? Also, how has the sandblasting of the smooth median happened yet, if so, does it have much impact on the overall look of the area?
Morlan

Postby GrahamH » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:53 pm

I don't think the sandblasting has happened yet, the roadway still has the same texture and colour of the flanking pavements. It's a shame the inset stone squares get so dirty on the road, the overall plaza pattern is somewhat diluted with the pavement squares being brighter and cleaner.
Presumably the Spire lighting will happen eventually - it's too good an opportunity to miss. Many people have commented on it to me annoyed about it not being lit to date. It would further help turn O'Cll St into a nightime destination, rather than somewhere to avoid, let alone create a fantastic feature for the city at large.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:36 pm

28/10/2004

Here's an question that I don't think has been asked before here that would be very interesting to hear peoples views on.

I know it's difficult to establish a context, esp with so much water under the bridge both in political and conservation fields, but if Nelson's Pillar was blown up last night, do you think it would be rebuilt?

Would it be rebuilt in-situ with Nelson re-erected?

Would it be rebuilt in-situ with someone/something else on top?

Would the stump be moved and the whole pillar re-erected with Nelson on top somewhere less prominent?

Would the stump be moved and preserved in the Phoenix Park or similar place as an important piece of heritage - allowing something like the Spike to go ahead on O'Cll St?

Perhaps this is a poll topic - assuming it hasn't been done before, although weirdly I doubt it's even been discussed before.
What do people think would happen, and what do they think should happen?
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Jack White » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:04 pm

I think that a poll is in order, it is hard to know what people would choose given a choice, I'm sure that very few would want Nelson to symbolise a new Ireland. I'd like to think they'd choose the Spike but I suspect a mass poll would deliver a copy of the pillar with Collins or Pearse on it.

Originally posted by Graham Hickey
28/10/2004

Here's an question that I don't think has been asked before here that would be very interesting to hear peoples views on.

I know it's difficult to establish a context, esp with so much water under the bridge both in political and conservation fields, but if Nelson's Pillar was blown up last night, do you think it would be rebuilt?

Would it be rebuilt in-situ with Nelson re-erected?

Would it be rebuilt in-situ with someone/something else on top?

Would the stump be moved and the whole pillar re-erected with Nelson on top somewhere less prominent?

Would the stump be moved and preserved in the Phoenix Park or similar place as an important piece of heritage - allowing something like the Spike to go ahead on O'Cll St?

Perhaps this is a poll topic - assuming it hasn't been done before, although weirdly I doubt it's even been discussed before.
What do people think would happen, and what do they think should happen?
Jack White

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland