World Architecture Day

World Architecture Day

Postby MG » Mon Sep 13, 1999 2:55 pm

Anyone know of ant events planned for Ireland?
MG

Postby dc3 » Sun Sep 19, 1999 9:06 am

There is a fairly long list of events, lectures, walking tours etc available from the RIAI. I have a one page handout from them.

They say that they have a page on the web at WWW.riai.ie with info about World Archers (sorry Architecture)Day.
dc3

Postby MG » Sun Sep 19, 1999 12:34 pm

Arse! I can't find one... that RIAI site is a visual and organisational disaster
MG

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Sep 20, 1999 9:02 am

Actually, I cannot find anything on the RIAI site either.

I have to admit that it's a very uninteresting and disappointing site. And by all accounts the "members only" zone isn't much fun either.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Sep 21, 1999 12:40 pm

Fresh and hot off the HTML presses....

<TABLE BORDER=1 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=2 BORDERCOLOR="#666666"><TR BGCOLOR="#f7f7f7"> <TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">Date </TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">Time</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"> <FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1"> Event</TD></TR><TR><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">5 October</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">6.00pm</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">Lecture
"Restoration of XVI Century Monuments in Oaxaca: the Convent of Santo Domingo and the Open Chapel of Tepozcolula" in the RIAI Architecture Centre, 8 Merrion Square, Dublin 2. All Welcome. Lecture is free of charge. Sponsored by Embassy of Mexico</TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR="#f7f7f7"> <TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">3 - 16 October</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1"> </TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">'Irish Building of the 20<SUP>th</SUP> Century

Competition open to the general public which will appear in the Sunday Tribune on 3 October. Free draw for a case of vintage champagne, Sponsored by Sunday Tribune & O’Briens Fine Wines</TD></TR><TR><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">8 October</TD>
<TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">1.00pm -2.00pm</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1"> Lecture

National Gallery of Ireland on the short-listed buildings selected for; 'Irish Building of the 20<SUP>th</SUP> Century' competition. All Welcome. Lecture is free charge.
</TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR="#f7f7f7"> <TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">8 - 10 October</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">8.00pm onwards</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">Architecture Exposed
Photographs projected on buildings in and around Dublin City. </TD></TR><TR> <TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">7 /9 / 10 October</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1"> 8.00pm</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">Architectural Film Week

The Irish Film Centre, Temple Bar:

07 October 8.00pm : Metropolis

09 October 8.00pm : Blade Runner

10 October 8.00pm : Le Mais Pris

All Welcome.</TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR="#f7f7f7"> <TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">9 October</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">11.00am</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">A Walk-About of an Exhibition

The Work of Grafton Architects' in the RIAI Architecture Centre. All Welcome. Event is free of charge.</TD></TR><TR><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">9 October</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">From 10.00am</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">Architectural Walking Tours:

Georgian Dublin

Saturday 09 October 10.00am

The Irish Georgian Society, 74 Merrion Square, Dublin 2

Victorian Dublin

Saturday 09 October 11.00 am

Main entrance to the National Library (adjacent to Dail Eireann), Kildare Street, Dublin 2.

Contemporary Dublin

Saturday 09 October 12 noon.

Central Bank, Dame Street, Dublin 2.

All Welcome. Tours are free of charge.</TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR="#f7f7f7"> <TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">9 October</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">2.30pm</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">Bus Tour of Dublin

St. Stephens Green, adjacent to Habitat.

Bus tour by architect Sam Stephenson

All Welcome. Tour is free of charge.</TD></TR><TR><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">9 October</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">2.00pm</TD><TD VALIGN="TOP"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica" SIZE="1">Lectures & Site Visit to Millennium Bridge

by Professor Sean DeCourcy and Roger Myers of Price and Myers Structural Engineers.

Commencing at Temple Bar Gallery. All Welcome. Event is free of charge.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby john white » Wed Sep 22, 1999 4:51 pm

The walking tour sounds like a great idea.

John
john white

Postby Shane » Thu Sep 23, 1999 5:38 pm

Cuíosach maith – go h-airaithe na scannáin. Táim ag tnuth go mór leo go fóill. Wouldn't a brave one to include would have been "Babe 2 - pig in the city" - London, New York, Paris and Sydney all in one bite sized chew ;-)
Shane

Postby RoryW » Fri Sep 24, 1999 4:33 pm

The Bus tour with Sam Stephenson sounds like a barrel of laughs. I think I'll go on that.

Rory W
RoryW

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Sep 24, 1999 4:43 pm

That thought occurred to me as well.... interesting to hear his take on recent developments
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Sep 30, 1999 9:15 am

<H4>Tours must be booked in advance by telephoning the RIAI on (01) 676 1703 or email info@riai.ie

Tours booked on a first-come first-served basis.</H4>
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby docomomo » Fri Oct 01, 1999 12:25 pm

The shortlist for The Sunday Tribune/RIAI's 'Irish building of the 20th century' is:

a) Lambay Castle (Sir Edwin Lutyens)
b) Busarus, Dublin (Michael Scott)
c) Primary schools (Basil Boyd-Barrett)
d) Bord na Mona housing (Frank Gibney)
e) Berkeley Library, TCD (Ahrends Burton Koralek)
f) Church of St Aengus, Burt, Co Donegal (Liam McCormick)
g) Temple Bar
h) Carroll's Factory, Dundalk (Ronald Tallon, Scott Tallon Walker)
i) Croke Park redevelopment, Dublin (Gilroy McMahon)
j) Tourist Office and Civic Park, Limerick (Murray O'Laoire).

Amazingly, no original/central Terminal Building at Dublin Airport, no (acknowledged) OPW projects and no 'modern house'. . .
docomomo

Postby MG » Fri Oct 01, 1999 12:31 pm

Hmmm... its really just a cross section of the buildings in that book Irish 20th Century Architecture published last year - a book which really focussed on the 60s onwards with just passing reference to previous building they just couldnt omit.

I agree that the Airport should be included.
MG

Postby docomomo » Fri Oct 01, 1999 3:31 pm

Nominate your favourite Irish building of the 20th century and/or vote at www.riai.ie
docomomo

Postby Jas » Fri Oct 01, 1999 4:23 pm

A nice conclusive links section they have but no mention of Archeire!!! Why?
Jas

Postby Rory W » Mon Oct 04, 1999 3:01 pm

I think they didn't include the original airport buiding as Aer Rianta are about to make a mess of it.

Rory W
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Sorcha » Fri Oct 08, 1999 12:32 am

Another good film for comparative city architecture is 'Night on Earth', which has four taxi trips around four different cities (L.A., New York, Rome and Helsinki) in the one night.
And it has the advantage of being rather funny as well.
Sorcha

Postby TG » Sat Oct 09, 1999 1:29 pm

Where are the photographs being projected on to buildings?
TG

Postby Rory W » Wed Oct 20, 1999 10:43 am

Did anybody else go on the "Sam and Frank show" bus tour around Dublin? I thought it was good fun, pity about the sound quality though.

Rory W
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Oct 20, 1999 10:49 am

what happened at it.... i went to the millenium bridge event instead
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Thu Oct 21, 1999 12:59 pm

Well besides the fact that the bus had dreadful sound quality (Loose connections for the microphones I think). Sam Stephenson anf Frank McDonald took us on a trip around the city centre. Starting at St Stephens Green we went to Hume Street where The Battle of Hume street was described. We the went down Baggot Street (Where Sam was congratulated for designing the Horseshoe Bar) and the Corpo were laughed at by everyone when Frank said that the corpo had said that the new look Patrick street would resemble Baggot street between Fitzwilliam Street and Merrion row!! Frank then said that he was wrong about the Bank of Ireland Building in Baggot street and it was quite good in actuality.

Going via Warrington place, we went on to Mount Street Lower and Sam reminised about his first office. Frank said that a lot of the architecture on this street was a bit "IFFY".

Going around Trinity and around the customs house was ok, but as the journey continued to Wellington quay it was pointed out that they had taken some of the scaffolding off sunlight chambers and everyone thought WOW its clean!

Having had a bit of a chat about the civic offices (OK - but nothing we didn't know already). We carried on via Heuston Station to Smithfield where we couldn't get around because of the road bein non existant. People were shocked when they heard that the old Distillary (Where chief O'Neills etc is) was bought in 1992 for HALF A MILLION POUNDS for the full site. Duffy Bros on the other side of the square, a similar sized site 8.5 Million last year.

Having inched our way onto North King Street and then back over to the southside we went down the Christchurch to College Green Axis where Sam started giving out about how the Bank of Ireland College Green would never be built these days and architects and their building should be judged later. He then proceded to give out about the Milennium Spire (Humbug, anyone).

As the trip was coming to a close our two presenters seemed to be giving each other more and more niggling comments, and by the time we got back onto St Stephens Green Frank came out with the quote of the day about the KPMG Building being on the site of the old Russell Hotel which was well known for meetings of Charlie Haughey, Donough O'Malley, and Brian Lenehan ... throwing in at the end "But you would know all about that wouldn't you Sam". Sam said everbody used to go there and it was just popular right.

By that stage it was 4:40 pm, the Bus returned to Habitat, and I wen't in search of Lunch.

Tour Length 2hrs 40mins
Your hosts were Frank and Sam
Cost £0
Value for money : Very Good

I would recommend this journey next year, for anybody who wants to spend a Saturday afternoon going around town without spending money, and enjoying Dublin, just for itself.

Rory W
Rory W
Old Master

Postby john white » Fri Oct 22, 1999 3:14 pm

Good man Rory!

I had a good laugh reading that. Wish I'd been on it. Unfortunately I'm entombed in the basement of the IFSC all day.

Well, actually just til the end of today as I'm leaving for a new job.

I'll miss Busaras but on a positive note - I won't have to suffer the Ulster Bank Pile anymore.
Whoo-hoo!

John
john white

Postby trace » Wed Oct 27, 1999 4:23 pm

Have a look at www.archweek.co.uk
trace

Return to Ireland