Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Donegal

30 November 2009

1474 – Donegal Castle,Co. Donegal

The castle consists of a 15th century rectangular keep with a later Jacobean style wing. The complex is surrounded by a 17th century boundary wall, with a small gatehouse at its entrance mirroring...

21 April 2014

1737 – Royal & Prior School, Raphoe, Co. Donegal

In 1608, King Charles I granted a charter which founded the Royal Schools across Ulster. By 1618, As part of this charter, a Royal School was established in Donegal town, which relocated to...

06 March 2012

1817 – Fanad Lighthouse, Co. Donegal

Architect: George Halpin Construction started in 1812-13 with the tone brought pre-cut from North Wall, Dublin. Light first lit St Patrick’s Day 1817.

02 January 2013

1820 – Rathmullan House, Co. Donegal

Built in 1820 as a summer house for the family of Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Knox, Rathmullan House is now a small country house hotel.

07 April 2011

1863 – Lough Eske Castle, Co. Donegal

Architect: Fitzgibbon Louch The original castle was first built around 1474. The current Lough Eske Castle was reconstructed in the 1860s by the Brooke family on the site of their medieval castle. The...

01 April 2014

1863 – Railway Station, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal

Architect: John C. Bower The station opened on 3 September 1863 on the Finn Valley Railway line from Glenties to Stranorlar. Stranorlar became the headquarters of the successor company, the Donegal Railway Company...

02 March 2014

1875 – Bank of Ireland, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

Architect: Timothy Hevey The Hibernian Bank aggressively pursued the business of the new Catholic middle classes, and in doing so, used an architectural idiom similar to that being used in the new churches...

23 May 2014

1876 – Catholic Hall, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

Architect: Timothy Hevey “This building, of which we gave exterior and interior views with last number, has been erected in Letterkenny, County Donegal, to supply a want long experiences, as heretofore there was...

28 May 2014

1877 – St. Finian’s Church & School, Falcarragh, Co. Donegal

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne ‘ Design for new church with proposed school and presbytery. Although the school was built largely as illustrated, the presbytery was not constructed. The church was built albeit minus...

Pages:12Next »