Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Limerick

11 November 2009

1194 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Limerick

Construction on St. Mary’s Cathedral started in the 12th century, and was completed around 1194. The full title of this Cathedral is the “Cathedral and Parochial Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary”. It...

11 November 2009

1210 – King John’s Castle, Limerick

King John’s Castle, on the south side of Thomond Bridge head, built in 1210 “to dominate the bridge and watch towards Thomond”, is one of the finest specimens of fortified Norman architecture in...

04 May 2014

1290s – Thomondgate Bridge, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Thomondgate was part of the “Northern” Liberties granted to Limerick in 1216. This area was the border between Munster and Connacht until County Clare, which was created in 1565, was annexed by Munster...

02 May 2012

1315 – Augustinian Abbey, Adare, Co. Limerick

The Earl of Kildare founded the Augustinian friary at Adare, County Limerick in 1315. Religious activities continued for about 200 years, until the community was suppressed in the mid-16th century. The church is...

02 May 2012

1464 – Franciscan Abbey, Adare, Co. Limerick

Now a fine ruin in the grounds of the Adare Manor Golf Club, the Franciscan Friary was founded in 1464 by Thomas, Earl of Kildare.

04 May 2014

15th C. – Castle Matrix, Rathkeale, Co. Limerick

The castle was built as a fortress during the early 1400s by the 7th Earl of Desmond. In the early 1600’s the castle was granted to the Southwell family who converted it to...

16 May 2013

1611 – Kilcornan Church, Co. Limerick

Illustration one of the series of sketches contributed by E. W. Godwin, F.S.A. and published in The Building News, December 25 1874. Godwin traveled around Ireland drawing antiquities for research before designing Dromore...

04 March 2012

1702 – The Exchange, Limerick

Architect: The Limerick City Exchange was built in 1673, close to St. Mary’s Cathedral to house the city’s covered market and council chamber. In 1702 the Exchange was demolished and replaced by a...

11 November 2009

1740 – Former Archbishop’s Palace, Limerick

Formerly the home of the Protestant bishop of Limerick, this is a fine house with central door, five bays. The house is currently occupied by Limerick Civic Trust, and visitors are welcome. A...