1866 – District Lunatic Asylum, Castlebar, Co. Mayo

Architect: George Wilkinson

0049

Large District lunatic asylum erected to a design by George Wilkinson (1814-90). It has a symmetrical plan comprising nine-bay two-storey central block centred on three-bay two-storey pedimented projecting breakfront with five-bay two-storey projecting “pavilions” centred on nine-bay three-storey wings.

Extended in the 20th Century, ceased use as a Psychiatric Hospital in 2005, and later converted to other use.

See Also