1879 – Presbyterian Memorial Secession Church Buildings, Botanic Ave., Belfast
A three bay church in rough sandstone constructed between 1877-79, it became the Kingham Mission for the Deaf in 1899. Now only a retained facade as the site was redeveloped by John Neil & Partners, architects.
“These buildings, which are now in course of erection, consist of a large school-room, sexton’s apartments, &c, on the ground floor. The church, which accommodates 450 persons, is placed above these, and is approached by an ample staircase, to which access is gained through an entrance doorway with splayed jambs] and boldly-moulded arch. The design generally is a simple and inexpensive one, and is sufficiently explained by our illustration. It is intended to fill in all the windows with cathedral glass of varied tints in lead lights. Ample provision is made for ventilation by louvred openings in the roof, to which ventilating tubes converge. The walls are built of rubble sandstone in random-coursed work; the dressings of doors and windows, and some bands of red stone, are tooled. The church is fitted with pews of pitch pine stained and varnished. The contractor employed is Mr. Martin Curry, who is carrying out the works from the designs and under the superintendence of the architects, Messrs. Young and Mackenzie, Belfast.” Published in The Irish Builder, December 1 1877.