1879 – Kelly Monument, Roden Place, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Robert McArdle

rodenplace

Constructed in 1879 to commemorate aa marine tragedy of 1858. It has carved sandstone panels to the east and west consisting of anchor and bollard (west) and storm-tossed ship (east). The main plaque is inscribed “In memory of Captain James Joseph Kelly, Gerald Hughes, James Crosby and James Murphy who lost their lives in a noble and humane effort to rescue the crew of the Baroue Mary Stoddard wrecked in Dundalk on the 9th April 1858.”

See Also