1812 – St. George’s, High Street, Belfast

Architect: John Bowden

0009

cityhall_exterior_lge

Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Situated in High-street, and erected in the years 1811-12, on the site of an old church taken down in 1777, is an elegant edifice, the portico being one of the most beautiful pieces of architecture in the kingdom.”

The portico was taken from Ballyscullion House, built for the Lord Bishop of Derry, and dismantled around 1803-04. Later internal work to the church by Welland & Gillespie.

See Also